Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to get my 4 yr old to eat

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son likes just about everything or at least he used to like things. I used to fix him all sorts of varieties for lunch. We used to do mac and cheese and grilled cheese. now all he wants is pbj. He used to like veggies too. now he won't eat sweet potatoes, and reg potatoes unless they are French fries. My husband is worried because he hssn't gained any weight in 6 months. hen we took him to his well check the dr said everything was fine. He just is very active and my instinct tells me h will be fine. how can I get him to eat enough to where his dad will not be so concerned. I feel like b/c the 4yr old is so active that he is using all his calories and keeping from gaining any weight. I guess I jst want to know when not to trust my own gut and seek answers from the pros.
by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramita
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I'll tell you this my youngest DD (age 3 almost 4) goes through spells where she barely eats (my oldest DD did this too). Sometimes you just got to go with the flow. If he only wants PB&J for lunch let it be. Try to get him to eat veggies and fruit for snack time and any other time. Also, if he'll drink them get him some pedisure. Oh and if he'll drink them mix him up some smoothies.
ramita
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh if he only will eat PB&J fix them on healthy breads like whole grains, or if he won't eat those try some potato bread. Also, check out various jellies some have added nutrients and sugar free.
tms80
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

i know what you are going thur!! my ds is 4 years old, and he is a picky eater by far!! when he was younger he would eat, peas, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, eggs.. and now it's only  mcdonald's  nuggets.. cherrios, spagatti, yogurt and pop tarts, and chips. .i used to worry but after my dh talked to a guy at work, and heard that is kids did the same at this age, and now that they are teens, they eat him out of house and home lol.. as long as my ds is ganing weight, staying active, being his wonderful self, im not that worried.. he knows what he wants at the right time he wants it!! lol

PEEK05
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Potatoes aren't considered a vegetable anyway.  They are a starch.  Many children don't gain a lot of weight after the first year.  I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.  I would, however, offer plenty of healthy snacks and meals.

mammaci
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Ha there are some days my dd picks all day long at her food, and then some days she eats me out of house and home.  I would go with your gut mamma.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

He will eat when he is hungry!  If you force the issue then there will be long lasting affects.  Kids go thru all kinds of phases....eating, not eating, eating only green things.....its crazy!

My daughter has always been a super picky eater!  But when she eats I always make sure its good choices.  I will some times give her TWO choices of foods that she can pick from, or I will hand her her plate and if she doesn't eat then she will eat at the next meal.  

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM
I agree with not making it an issue. I think a 4 year old not gaining anything in 6 months is pretty typical. Kids also go through phases where they only want to eat a certain thing over and over again. As long as you generally offer healthy choices and don't constantly cater to him he should grow out of it.

My niece was very picky as a toddler. I used to babysit her, and she'd eat the Kraft ,macaroni and cheese every day and not many other. Personally I think her parents probably catered to her (and her brothers') pickiness, although I do think some of that is hereditary as my brother--their father--is very picky and my other brothers and I are not. Anyway, at 17 now (yikes!), she eats pretty normally for a teenager.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaKaylasmom29
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My daughter used to eat anything I put infront of her, now she won't eay anything unless it's bananas, grapes, sweet potato fries, green beans, carrots, or ham...guess i'm lucky she picks healty foods. But meat is something she won't hardly eat. I asked the doctor about it. He said most of the time its not that the don't like the food, it's the texture of the food that turns them away from eating it.

ginnorm
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Thank you all and as a follow up any insight as to how to get dad to back off and give our son the option and confidence to let us know what his own body is telling him. He will eventually eat when he's ready too. I really don't like the way our suppers go lately because he won't eat and dad gives him the choice to eat his supper or go to his room. I really don't like the same routine over and over but that what is happeing and no matter how much I say that he will eat if he wants his dad insists he eat at supper. I tell him what he's eaten all day and that the choices given him are generally healthy ones and an occasional sweet. Mostly fruits and veggies and some water or milk to drink He only drinks the low sugar cranberry juice blends. he likes those better than apple juice blends. I feel like I'm caught in the middle. I know that my son is being a typical kid exhibiting typical behavior and want to support him but I also feel compelled to be a back up for my husband because as parents we need to stick together. I'm caught in the crossfire.
SaimyaAndJoeJr
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
If you find a way let me know cause my four year old is the same way. Healthy and happy but eating seems to just be a distraction fo her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)