Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Extracurricular Activities

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 20 Replies

Does your child take part in any extracurricular activities? How old is your child?

My son is 4 and has been in gymnastics since he was 18 months old. He has one 45 minute class a week. I would like him to take part in another activity in the fall but I'd like to see what your child does too.

by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
careyphotoo
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd is 3 and has been in tumbling since she was 2 and were looking at maybe next year putting her in our gyms tiny allstar squad. She also goes to story time once a week.
JennaPBug
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We really want to put our 2 1/2 yr old in summer gymnastics. But he doesn't follow directions at all. Would that matter?
GabriellaKate
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

It might be a problem though it depends on the teachers. My son's teachers aren't strict but if the kids can't listen they can't be in the class. When he first began taking gym classes, it wasn't structured and they were encouraged to play around on the equipment (under safe supervision, of course), so that they could understand what it was all about. When the teachers said stop they had to stop not continuing jumping off the beam or in to the pit and if they couldn't manage to listen then perhaps they weren't ready for gym.

Maybe look in to him taking a couple of classes to see how he is in the environment before signing him up for an entire program?

Quoting JennaPBug:

We really want to put our 2 1/2 yr old in summer gymnastics. But he doesn't follow directions at all. Would that matter?

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old son is also in gymnastics, he has just been going for a few months.  Next month I am starting  summer soccer with him for the first time and excited to see how he likes that.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My almost 4 year old is not now but she'll swim in the summer and do fall soccer. My 6 year old is in karate year-round, he's finishing up A-ball (baseball) right now and will swim in the summer and probably still play some baseball. Ice hockey in the fall...maybe. I'm sick of ice hockey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Our gym is parent/kid classes until 3. Just look into it.

Quoting JennaPBug:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simple-Beauty
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
DD started dancing at 3.
She tried soccer at 4.
She tried Pom at 5, also took a few formal swim lessons to improve on what her daddy taught her.
She joined our area swim team last year at 6 and also became a Girl Scout.
At 7 she started jazz in addition to ballet and tap, will be swimming 4 days a week as of June 1, and getting her last Daisy Scout patches and bridging to Brownie!

Next year she wants to start gymnastics. Swim, dance, and Girl Scouts are her main activities though.

DS (2) has done toddler time and informal gymnastics. Swim lessons are starting this summer.
Jemia
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds age 6 will be playing football in the fall and dd age 5 will be doing cheer leading.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

DS is 2.5 and has been in gymnastics since 18 months.  Right now, it's a parent-assist class, but after this session he will go to the next level. He's also done swim lessons at a swim center one month out of the summer. He's done that since he was 9 months old.

For the fall, I'm looking to either put him in Fall Pre T-Ball or Street Cats Street Hockey. If he makes the age cut off, we'll do T-Ball, otherwise, one of the hockey coaches told me they would take him early since he's pretty athletic kid.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Totally depends on the teacher. Our first teacher was all about form and precision. DS was 18 months and I figured if I could just keep him with the group, we had acheived success. We moved to another teahcer's class and he responds so much better. She expects 2 year old to be 2 year olds. If they don't want to do an activity, she doesn't force it. Her only rule is to stay with the group and stay safe in the gym. (There are lots of other classes going on during his session)

If nothing else, gymnastics is a great way to let your LO burn off some energy.

Quoting JennaPBug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)