Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

He won't let me read to him -Edit

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son 2 1/2 won't let me read to him anymore he just wants to read to me. He throws the biggest fit whenever I try. It's getting really frustrating.

My son does not talk only a few words NONE that are in the books he's reading. I try to take turns with him, he reads I read but that doesn't work either. I know he's getting big and I accept that. But I want to read to him. Is that wrong? Should I just not read to him?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wonderstruck11
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
So let him read! At least he wants to. Some kids don't like to read at all.
Dvegas
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Put your self in his shoes he wants to show you what a big boy he is by reading on his own and you keep trying to take over. I am sure that is very frustrating for him. I think you are having trouble accepting that he is growing up and wants to do things on his own now which is totally understandable.I would let him continue to read on his own as kids should be encouraged to things on there own more and more as they grow up. Just be there for him when he asks for  help pronouncing a word. If he really isn't reading what is in the book and he is just making things up then just sit back and let him continue to tell you the story he is making up. There is nothing wrong with a little imagination.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I would just let him do it for right now. it is likely a phase and before you know it he will be asking you to read to him again.

PEEK05
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I would continue reading to him.

Pam_8787
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
This. Just let him do it. Eventually he will want to know what the story is really about

Quoting wonderstruck11:

So let him read! At least he wants to. Some kids don't like to read at all.
Marimaru
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Let him do it.  You're still spending the time together, and he is still interested in the books.  :)

TTC2Long
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM
This!

Quoting Dvegas:

Put your self in his shoes he wants to show you what a big boy he is by reading on his own and you keep trying to take over. I am sure that is very frustrating for him. I think you are having trouble accepting that he is growing up and wants to do things on his own now which is totally understandable.I would let him continue to read on his own as kids should be encouraged to things on there own more and more as they grow up. Just be there for him when he asks for  help pronouncing a word. If he really isn't reading what is in the book and he is just making things up then just sit back and let him continue to tell you the story he is making up. There is nothing wrong with a little imagination.

TTC2Long
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM
And this! :)

Quoting Marimaru:

Let him do it.  You're still spending the time together, and he is still interested in the books.  :)

Dvegas
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Of course there is nothing wrong with wanting to read to your son but forcing that you be the one to read and not him is taking the joy out of him loving the reading experience. At this age it is not about him knowing a lot of words in order to want to read. Him wanting to read on his own even if he is just babbling is an important milestone for kids to go through. He may not know how to say the words but maybe he knows what the objects are in the book and he is working on saying them by babbling right now. Just let him read to you and converse with him back by saying oh yes very good the duck is sleeping  or whatever when he looks up at you but don't take the book out his hands and take over. Eventually he will say the words correctly. He will most likely also let you go back to reading to him but try not to force it. Him enjoying the reading experience with you is more important than him knowing how to say the words in the book right now or you being the one that is doing the reading.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Just let him read.  After a while he'll ask you to read to him again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)