Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 22 Replies
At what age do children start preschool?
I want my daughter to be engaged in learning activities and socialized with children her age, but I am just not sure at what age she is supposed to start preschool? Does it matter if the school is private or public? Is it depending the state? I live in Florida...
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophiesmom07
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My dd started pre-k at 4 years old.  Not sure if it varies by state.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Preschool, to the best of my knowledge, isn't required so age is set largely by the parents' preference and the school. My DD turns 3 in September and will attend preschool in the fall. When we were checking into different programs, most had a 3 yr old class, but a Montessori school accepted a student as young as 2.5. Dd's school has an August 31 birthday cut-off, but since she only missed the cut off age by a couple of weeks and shows readiness to be in a school setting, the school is making an exception.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Day care can be used for your daughters purpose. It can start at 6 months to age 5 for the most part.  Check day care ages in your community to confirm.

"Special preschool" is used for children ages 3> with disabilities to attend.  

Some states have voluntary pre-kindergarten classes the summer before they start kindergarten.  Check with your local school for age requirements.

xoxRachelxox
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM

My kids go to a preschool and I've seen babies there that are 9 months old. They're of course in a different classroom but they're there. 

I'm pretty sure they're considered preschool aged at 3. 

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

my sons preschool starts with moms morning out at six weeks of age and goes all the way through kinder. Its really up to youwhen you want to start. we started full on preschool at age three 

Poisongirl98
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM
It's up to the parents, although most preschools usually start at age 3. Some around me start at 2-2 1/2. I know preschool is not required in the state I grew up in (my youngest bro never went) or where I live now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Many public options are for headstart and the child has to qualify, not open enrollment.  That's just a question you would have to ask your district.

My son started at 3 years 9 months.  He was my first and I wasn't going to send him at 2 years 9 months since I was a stay at home mom so we held off. 

My dd started much earlier at 3 years 1+ months.  She would cry toward the end of my son's last year cuz she wanted to stay so we just knew she was ready.

My kids attend private Montessori.  Best $$ we've spent!!!

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

It depends 3 or 4 my ds started at four but was in other things with kids his age at three 

Rosebud27aj
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Both of my ds's started at 3...

AutymsMommy
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Not all states offer free pre-k to everyone (some only offer it to low income or special needs children). I do, however, believe Florida DOES offer it free to everyone.

Most start at 4.

We homeschool, so our middle son (turned 4 last week!) will start Junior Kindergarten at home with me this fall.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)