Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you break your kids of the bottle?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 49 Replies
We broke ds of bottle right at a year, had no issues, and he had been sleeping through the night forever.
However, dd is almost a year and I don't see breaking the bottle in her near future. I need some ideas. My concern is she drinks almost 8 oz before bed and wakes 1 or 2 times drinking a whole bottle (which is normally 4oz). I've tried not giving her a bottle when she wakes, and she will wake every 1/2 hr until she gets a bottle.
Just looking for any suggestions...
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy2
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM
We just threw them away.
mkm6612
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I found a sippy cup with a soft spout (I had to try several types before I found one they liked) and started transitioning my twins about a month before their first birthday. One was doing better than the other and pretty much didn't need it at all after about 2 weeks. The other struggled a little more, but on their birthday I did not give them a bottle at all. They were fine. I knew they were drinking enough from the cup so I didn't let the fussing because they wanted a bottle upset me. And I didn't give in either.
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I waited til 18mos for my dd bc she was sooo attached to it. I tried gradually but it didnt work, she wouldnt take milk in a sippy at all, only water. Eventually i just waited til she went to bed one night and packed up every last bottle (i saved for baby number two) and in the morning she asked for her ba and i gave her milk in her sippy, after a meltdown she drank from her sippy and was fine. Just ditch the bottles and give a sippy, maybe take her shopping when you buy the sippy so its special and hers, then if she still gets up at night you can do milk in a sippy. Id do less and less in oz at night until she doesnt need it. She should be .okay to go all night without unless its a growth spurt time, at least thats my experience w my kiddos.

Does she have a lovey? If not maybe she needs one, a doll, a blanky, whatever she would love and can take anywhere, that may help her attachment to the bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
---terrah---
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We let our kids wean themselves. Our oldest DS didn't truly wean until about 18 months...with approval from his pediatrician. We didn't have to do anything, he just stopped getting up at night. Our 12 month old has basically weaned himself too. He may drink out of the bottle in the morning but that is about it. And even that is very sporadic.

Is your DD eating enough throughout the day? Maybe try giving her foods that will keep her fuller longer. 

If it were me, I probably would give her a little bit of time. Most kids will self wean when they are ready.

Briangel
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I think she eats plenty. She eats like she's starving, she'll eat a whole grilled cheese sandwich, some pears and some green beans for dinner. (That seems like a lot IMO for an 11 mo old) I can't believe she takes 6-8 oz at night, when she won't take more that 4 at a time all day! I'm thinking maybe an evening snack before bed?

Quoting ---terrah---:

We let our kids wean themselves. Our oldest DS didn't truly wean until about 18 months...with approval from his pediatrician. We didn't have to do anything, he just stopped getting up at night. Our 12 month old has basically weaned himself too. He may drink out of the bottle in the morning but that is about it. And even that is very sporadic.

Is your DD eating enough throughout the day? Maybe try giving her foods that will keep her fuller longer. 

If it were me, I probably would give her a little bit of time. Most kids will self wean when they are ready.

Briangel
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM
That's what we did with ds! And it worked fine. I just think we'd have a rough time for a while if we did that with dd.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

We just threw them away.

Briangel
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I wish she had a lovey. We have tried! She hasn't taken to anything specific. She'll cuddle stuffed animals while she's playing, but won't take anything around with her. And if I give her something while she's drinking before bed, she just throws it. We have a "daddy doll" since dh is deployed and she plays with it in crib when she gets up, but she isn't attached to it. :(

Quoting lillucky8:

I waited til 18mos for my dd bc she was sooo attached to it. I tried gradually but it didnt work, she wouldnt take milk in a sippy at all, only water. Eventually i just waited til she went to bed one night and packed up every last bottle (i saved for baby number two) and in the morning she asked for her ba and i gave her milk in her sippy, after a meltdown she drank from her sippy and was fine. Just ditch the bottles and give a sippy, maybe take her shopping when you buy the sippy so its special and hers, then if she still gets up at night you can do milk in a sippy. Id do less and less in oz at night until she doesnt need it. She should be .okay to go all night without unless its a growth spurt time, at least thats my experience w my kiddos.

Does she have a lovey? If not maybe she needs one, a doll, a blanky, whatever she would love and can take anywhere, that may help her attachment to the bottle.

---terrah---
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That's what I was thinking...maybe an evening snack that is full of protein and whole grains since they keep you fuller longer:)

Quoting Briangel:

I think she eats plenty. She eats like she's starving, she'll eat a whole grilled cheese sandwich, some pears and some green beans for dinner. (That seems like a lot IMO for an 11 mo old) I can't believe she takes 6-8 oz at night, when she won't take more that 4 at a time all day! I'm thinking maybe an evening snack before bed?

Quoting ---terrah---:

Bella14308
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly my 2 year old dd was pretty easy to get off the bottle... i forgot to pack it when i spent a weekend at my friends after a surgery i had when my dd was 14 months.
as for sleeping through the night: i put her in her bed with 2 sippy cups... 1 has her rice milk the other has a juice/water mix. we skype with her dad who is in sc. he sings and reads her stories or i make up a story and she lays there drinks her milk and listens. she puts her milk aside kisses daddy goodnight and rolls over. then if she wakes up at night she takes a few sips of juice and goes back to sleep.
i have noticed that days she wont eat much she fully wakes up and wants milk 1-2 times at night. so i would try a bedtime snack to male sure she is full.
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Pick something she loves and bring it everywhere, ask where it is if she doesnt have it near, daddy doll sounds perfect, or another babydoll if you like she will learn to have it be her lovely. My dd has a $5 doll from walmart my dad got he, istarted bringing it everywhere and we named it and now its her fav. Abby goes everywhere w us.

Quoting Briangel:

I wish she had a lovey. We have tried! She hasn't taken to anything specific. She'll cuddle stuffed animals while she's playing, but won't take anything around with her. And if I give her something while she's drinking before bed, she just throws it. We have a "daddy doll" since dh is deployed and she plays with it in crib when she gets up, but she isn't attached to it. :(

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)