Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night training

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 11 Replies
DS is 4. He's been daytime potty trained for about a year now. Night time though, not so much. He still wears pull ups at night for the most part. Almost every time I have him wear undies to bed, I wake up to his bed all wet. I make him stop drinking before bed time and use the potty before going to bed, still there's pee (either on the bed if he's wearing undies, or in the pull up). So I tried having him get up in the middle of the night. He's such a heavy sleeper!! I say his name, gently shake him, pick him up, and he's still out. Once I finally get him up, he's MAD that he's been woken up. [I think he got that from me, lol] He'll try to push me away, kick off his clothes, and cry. Then will toss and turn for a while before going back to sleep.

Ughhh. Please. How did you get your child to night train, because I don't think I'm doing this right :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

There is not much you can do. Some kids just take longer.

AdensMommy1107
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM
How long did it take your child(ren)?

Quoting othermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Sorry I'm not sure.  My daughter night time trained on her own at the same time she day trained, all within a couple of days.  Here is a bump and a good luck.

luvmy2gurlz0405
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I dont think there is much you can do other than stop the drinks before bed. My dd wore pullups until last summer, but she got MRSA on her butt, long story..lol. But she had to sleep bottomless so thats when she stopped wetting the bed.

Marimaru
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My understanding is that you can't really train a kid for night time.  It just kind of clicks when it clicks.  Stopping them drinking in the evening doesn't really make much difference, and getting them up at night might not help either.

That's just what I've read.  I didn't do anything for Isabelle's night training.  I just let her quit wearing pull ups when it seemed like they were always dry.  I was super lucky with her.  I'm figuring that luck can't hold out and I'll have a different time with Valerie, lol.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I never understand why people are willing to sacrifice sleep and wake SLEEPING kids up in the middle of the night to pee!  I can't imagine :)  Being able to stay dry happens when the brain releases a hormone to slow and concentrate urine production.  It's maturity and nothing that can be trained.  When he starts to wake up dry more often than not, move to undies and see what happens.  Until then, let the poor kid sleep!!!!  IF he was on the cusp of it, waking him may make a difference in getting him over that final hurdle but I would still never do it.  I'm just not going to willingly let pee and poop disrupt my household.  It's too trivial and I like my sleep and I like sleeping kids :)

All kids reach it in their own time.  I would guess 4-5 is average age but docs don't even consider it an issue until about 8.  Not what you want to hear, I know, but once you see that it's out of your control, you can accept it and move on and let sleeping kids lie.  He will get there!!!!!!!

arthistmom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Unfortunately, this is one of those developmental milestones that happens when the child (and his/her bladder) is ready. Our older son essentially night-trained himself. One night soon after being day-trained, he woke up in the middle of the night and decided that he didn't want to wear nighttime pull-ups anymore and wanted to wear underwear instead, and that was that. His younger sibling, however, needed more time to be completely night-trained. Hang in there, mama! It'll happen.

AdensMommy1107
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM
That actually is what I needed to hear! I've been thinking maybe I was doing it wrong. But reading that it's a maturity and biological thing puts my mind at ease. I'll let the poor boy sleep! Lol

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I never understand why people are willing to sacrifice sleep and wake SLEEPING kids up in the middle of the night to pee!  I can't imagine :)  Being able to stay dry happens when the brain releases a hormone to slow and concentrate urine production.  It's maturity and nothing that can be trained.  When he starts to wake up dry more often than not, move to undies and see what happens.  Until then, let the poor kid sleep!!!!  IF he was on the cusp of it, waking him may make a difference in getting him over that final hurdle but I would still never do it.  I'm just not going to willingly let pee and poop disrupt my household.  It's too trivial and I like my sleep and I like sleeping kids :)

All kids reach it in their own time.  I would guess 4-5 is average age but docs don't even consider it an issue until about 8.  Not what you want to hear, I know, but once you see that it's out of your control, you can accept it and move on and let sleeping kids lie.  He will get there!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My youngest was 2 1/2, my middle was 3 1/2, my oldest took a lot longer

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

How long did it take your child(ren)?

Quoting othermom:

heathermarie23
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I let my son do it himself... one day he came to me and said he didn't want to wear pull ups anymore... he has an occasional accident... but months go by where he is good.  You could try just bringing hm (still asleep) to the toilet and just help him to go without really waking him, I do that if my son falls asleep before going to the bathroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)