Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: My daughter is 3 and thinks potty time is play time

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 3 and she has 3-4 accidents a day. When I take her to the bathroom to use it normally she wants to play and not go. How do I get her to stop seeing potty time as play time?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
PEEK05
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Sorry I'm not sure.  Neither of my children have ever thought it was time to play when trying to go potty.  Here's a bump.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

My hunch is that she may not be 100% ready to train.  Is she in underwear all day or a diaper?  When my kids were ready to train, they got their business done and moved on.  My dd went thru a curiosity phase at 18 months and she played around too but she was also clearly not ready to be trained so we let her play and explore with no expectations. 

Your dd might be close but just not quite there.  How long have you been training?  What is she playing with?  Remove any distractions and then just be patient.  Training is not a success-only journey and your dd may just need more time.

lace-n-heels
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM

with my daughter, I let her take a few books with her and made her sit on the potty till she went. She could sit there and look at books but she was going to sit there, and that way she didn't get bored and the pressure of HAVING to go wasn't there, and then when she went she'd get a prize, either some change for her bank or m&m's or I'd do the potty dance...lol

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
She may not be ready. My ds is 3 and fears the bathroom. So we know he is not ready but there are times he wants to try and when he does we give him positive praises. Just don't be negative with it and keep encouraging her.
corrinacs
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Let her take something to play with while she sits on the potty.  Kids dont' want to potty if they think they are just going to sit there.......that's boring.  I let my older son bring books, toys, etc to the potty with him :).

la_bella_vita
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I don't know, I'm going through the same thing with my 3 year old. He thinks of potty as play time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)