Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this is gonna be hard!!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
I'm gonna try and not give my son his paci at night.
His pedi said to take them from him and not give them back. Well I tries that for his nap and omg at the screaming/ crying!! I gave in and he was out in no time. But I hope to fight it with him tonight and Tommrrow night because my husband wont be home.
Any advise on how to claim him or from me giving in.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marimaru
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM

How old?

Isabelle had hers way longer than I ever said she would.  Another one of those things said in theory that changed in practice, I guess, lol.  Once she was 1, she only ever had it at night and for nap time.  When she turned 3, she got a brand new room, with a new big girl bed and we told her that she couldn't have her pacifier in her big girl room.  She asked for it a couple of times (even once she said "I sleep in little girl room and have binky?") but didn't flip out when I said no.  That was in October.

westonsmommy23
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM
He will be 17 months June 10 but we are moving sometime around the first 2 weeks of June so I won't him off of it by than. He only take it at bedtime normally but.he was so sleepy today at naptime I gave in.
Kelcy_Jones07
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

i made the mistake of giving the bottle to bed which i didnt stop fast enough and it turned into a sippy cup at night...big mistake he had his 4 front teeth crowned. when i heard the news that he needed dental work i put my foot down and didnt give in it was hard to hear him cry and scream but he only did it for two days than after that he was done and fine and has been just fine.i had my mom next to me telling me let him cry its not hurting him...kinda giving me encouragment. maybe u should fine someone who will encourage u. best of luck!!

laughnchica
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It is hard. But it does need to be done and you have to keep reminding yourself of that. When we weaned our off of her pacifier, we would put her to bed and read the story and that whole process and when she started asking/whining for her pacifier we would just give her hugs and say "sorry but we aren't going to use that anymore" very calmly. The first few times she cried and cried but she wore herself out and eventually just passed out. We would sit with her in the beginning to try to comfort her but it would make it last longer so we would usually leave and she would calm down and now is just fine. Doesn't even suck her thumb so far. I don;t ever want that habit to start.

itsm3
by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:49 AM

honestly, it'll be rough for the first week or so but if you keep on giving it back after he starts crying, you're only making it worse and will only prolong the crying/fighting of sleep.  if you want to just give it to him, give it to him.  if you want to take it away, keep it away and do not give it back.  don't flip-flop because you're only confusing him and teachign him that if he cries long and hard enough, he'll get it back so he will cry longer and harder. 

make a  decision and stick to it.  like any new skill (even sleeping a new way ie. without a paci), takes time to learn.  you can'te expect him to be ok with a change in routine from day one.  it'll be hard and he will protest (cry) but the more consistent you are, the faster he will learn/adapt.

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Just going to have to rough it out probably. Good luck
mers-mom
by on May. 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Can you replace the comfort he feels with the paci with a blankie or something?
corrinacs
by on May. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM

How old is he?

My son had a HARD time with this, but we managed.  We actually put the choice completely up to him.  We told him if he wanted to give up the paci (we called it a bebe) then he could get a build a bear.  Two weeks later, he brought all 100000 of his bebe (LOL) and said "bear".  So, we made sure that's waht he wanted......he never looked back :)

westonsmommy23
by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM
He will be 17 months the 10 of June.
He already has a blankie he takes everywhere.
He went all day without a paci (we wherent at home)
Even took a nap in the car.
Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM

If he is really attached and not ready then I would honestly put it off a bit longer. Especially if your moving soon because that can be a big change and the comfort of the binky could come in handy. If he is only using it at nap and bed time and not sucking on it all day and night then it's not going to cause any damage to his teeth. You can try keeping it hidden and not mentioning it and if he does well without then great but if he has a hard time and starts losing sleep over it then wait a few months and try again. If he still has it at age 2 then you can get a bit more strict about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)