Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Help.....

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 19m old son and he seemed very interested in the potty before I started being consistent with him. I would give him plenty to drink and every thirty minutes to a hour I would take him to the bathroom. Well doing this I guess made him upset and started disliking the potty. I would reward him with stickers/snacks/hot-wheels cars when he did potty and explain to him when he had an accident that he needed to use the potty. When he did have accidents I would send him to the bathroom and sit him on potty to tell him that is were he potty's at. Well doing this for a week made him very upset and I noticed he has no control when to pee and when not to pee. He can have an accident then two-five minutes later he is wet again from dribbles. So I quit because I figured he wasn't ready. That was a month ago and now I want to try again. Is there anything I should try different this time? How long should I leave him on potty?

First time around he didn't have pull up on. I used underwear instead so he would learn the difference. I noticed at times he would grab himself when wet. So I know he didn't like that feel. I could tell him to go to potty and he would go straight to the bathroom to get on potty. Sometimes crying and sometimes he was just fine. I was pretty sure he would be easy because he was so interested but I guess I was wrong. :/

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd went thru a phase at 18 months where she wanted to sit on the potty too.  She didn't actually train until she was 2 years 9 months but when she started, she was trained in 3 weeks.  Remember that toddlers love to do what we do so just cuz he shows interest doesn't mean he's pysically ready to train.  It's great that he was experimenting though!!

I think what you did before was a great way to start.  He should be in underwear and everything else you described was what I would suggest.  Give him another week and see how it goes.  If he resists, don't force him.  He's still YOUNG so it's entirely possible he's still not quite ready.  Do what you did before and be prepared to pull the plug if you see it's just not progressing.

Good luck!!!

aeELE
by on May. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Is he waking up dry from his nap? A lot of experts use that as the gauge for physical readiness.

It held for true for us, and we had to wait for 3! Every kid is different, and their bodies and minds develop at their own rate. Trying to force something like potty training will only frustrate both of you if he's not ready. Good luck! 

Femommy
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I have to change his sheets every morning because he pees right through his diaper. I started not giving him anything to drink a hour before bedtime. It helps a little but still he has some wetness on clothes and sheets. As for nap time sometimes he is dry and some his pull up is a little wet.

Quote:

aeELE

bzzybeemomof3
by on May. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

This is how I did it for my girls, I am sure its different from boys tho. I always did 10-15 minutes after every meal or drink and every 45minutes to an hr throughout the day. I never sat them on the potty longer then 3 minutes in time, and when I put them on and they didnt go in that 3 minutes we revisted the toilet again in 10 minutes times and well repeated.

Always a morning pee as soon as they got up and always before bed/nap time. I started training my girls at 12 months old. My lo is is almost 16 months old and I just started with her late cause she started to walk a bit this past week. It has been going great for us so far. I also do not believe in the whole rewarding chart system, butthats my personal opinon. lol

Just be consistant. Its actually proven through Montessori learning that it is easier to potty train a child between the ages of 12 months and 18 months after that window in age it gets more difficult. I use cloth diapers on my lo and we are switching to mostly trainers soon enough.

PEEK05
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I would just do what you were doing and see what happens.  He is probably just wanting to explore the potty.

ardiaxe
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I have a boy and girl and let them be in charge of their training, both of them trained at 2.5.  I put the potty out and let them use it whenever they wanted.  I kept them naked from waist down.  I never physically put them on the potty nor used any reward.  It had to be their own doing.

When they were consistent with the potty by themselves, then the underwear went on.  Let them lead the way, just provide a lot of positive encouragement and praise.  The moment they feel pressure to perform, they will feel the need to take control back and stop making progress.  This process can take weeks to months, good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)