Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice for a 2 year old.

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 16 Replies

I can't handle my son anymore. There is not a moment that goes by that he is good.

I get it, he's 2. But I have no met a 2 year old that acts as bad or worst than mine. Ever.

My son hits, he bites, he pushes, he back talks, he doesn't listen, he's constantly into everything, he cries more than a newborn and can't keep things out of his mouth. He has picked up candy off the ground at a park and stuck it in his mouth! He is just absolutely unruly. He has a speech delay so he doesn't talk except a select few words but he understands when I say "no", so what does he do when I say "no"? Points at me, screams "no" back at me and then smacks me. Brilliant right?

Time-out's don't work. I've tried. Taking things away doesn't work. Redirection doesn't work. I can do these things over and over until my body turns purple and it will not help. 

I feel like those mom's on Super Nanny honestly. I'm at a complete and total loss. I feel like I should enjoy time with my son, and enjoy watching him play and seeing him interact with other kids. But my reality isn't like that. I get that not everything is peaches and cream with kids, I expect that their going to have problems. My 6 year old has problems, always has. Hell, I have problems. But it's to the point that I wake up in the morning, and literally pray to God (and I'm not even religious!!!) to help me keep my sanity through the day. The only SEMI peace and quiet I get is when he is in his high chair eating, and at a nap time. I don't enjoy my son, I don't even have a moment in the day that makes me proud to be his mother and it kills me to say that. 

I try and give him kisses at night, and he yells at me and tells me to stop. I try and play toys with him and he tells me to go away. He'll go all day without eating and will refuse to eat. I try and play with the dogs with him and all he does is kick them and tells them to stop. I try and sit and watch tv with him as a quiet time and he tells me no. I try and leave him alone to do his own thing and within 2 minutes something goes wrong. I can't even tell you anything specifically because it's everything. 

I just really need help. I'm at a complete and total loss and I can't handle it anymore. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

BUMP!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Email Super Nanny! Early learning DVDs and flashcards to work on his speech. Have you ever tried massage with lavender lotion. Ever thought about having him tested for autism possibility?
Braydens_Mama11
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM

He had his autism test done at one of his check ups and he failed it but they did a more indepth autism test and ruled out the possiblity of autism. 

I will try the lotion, I have some somewhere but it's not that expensive if I can't find it. Any suggested places for flashcards and dvd's? 

I've tried to email supernanny and "apply to the show" but all it does is reload the same page, glitch in the website maybe? I don't know.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Email Super Nanny! Early learning DVDs and flashcards to work on his speech. Have you ever tried massage with lavender lotion. Ever thought about having him tested for autism possibility?

corrinacs
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

If you feel its gotten to thep oint that you no longer have control over the sitaution, I'd speak to your pediatrican about it.  If they feel there is an underlying issue, they can lead to where you can get help.  You did mention he has a speech delay.  Did they ever determine the cause of it?  I know that children with speech delays can have issues with behavior because they have the mindset, but not the means, to express themselves.

For now, just aknowledge to him how he's feeling and let him have his tempers.  just leave him be.  It could be somewhat attention related, and the more you turn away the more he realizes that its not getting your attention anymore.  Of courdse, provided he's not hurting hismelf or something else.  If that's the case, he definitely needs to be seen by a ped. psychologist.  Nothing you've done ahs been wrong....but it will just take some work for the both of you to manage what's going on!

Good luck!

GoldenLinds
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Are they having you. Integrate sign language into his speach therapy? My son doesn't have a spee h delay but he also isn't interested in talking. I started teachinh him sign out of desperation and lo and behold he uses then AND talks more. He is a very very active and unruly child. Girl I was reading a day in my life. But giving him an action to go with the word helped him associate better. Its just how he thinks. Do over say. You also need a night away to destress.
I've also started to just turn away when I get frustrated with him. He feeds negatively on my stress. Its incredibly hard to stop myself especially when he's climbing where he shouldn't or trying to draw on the couch. I just move him ir take it away anf then leave the situation silently. It helps us both from escalating because we are so much alike in that aspect.
ihave1
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Sorry could nto read all that b/c of the color. It messed up my eyes so here is a bump.  

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

He had his autism test done at one of his check ups and he failed it but they did a more indepth autism test and ruled out the possiblity of autism. 

I will try the lotion, I have some somewhere but it's not that expensive if I can't find it. Any suggested places for flashcards and dvd's? 

I've tried to email supernanny and "apply to the show" but all it does is reload the same page, glitch in the website maybe? I don't know.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I just get flashcards at the dollar bin at Target or even the dollar store, there are Your Baby Can Read, Your Baby Can Learn, Baby Genius, Baby Boost that you can order online. Www.star fall.com is a good learning website. I like Johnson & Johnson Bedtime Lavender lotion but they also and have lavender baby wash. I start at the feet and rub towards the heart and give the massages before nap and bedtime. Maybe you need to start over and get a schedule and routine going. Children at that age have short attention spans of like 15 minutes if that, so get clay, bubbles, finger paint, leggos/blocks, cars, sandbox, inflatable pool and fill with ball pit balls, etc. Re-build your bond. It can happen even with strong-willed kids.
Braydens_Mama11
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Edited :)

Quoting ihave1:

Sorry could nto read all that b/c of the color. It messed up my eyes so here is a bump.  

Braydens_Mama11
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Thank you. Hubby gets paid on Monday so I'm definately going to check those things out. I know a part of it is because he is bored so since it's nice outside I filled up his pool and let him play for a bit and that calmed him down a bit but after awhile he went back to his normal stuff. and my mom and I are gonna get him some sports things like t-ball and stuff but I'm worried it's only going to be a temporary fix :(

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

Quoting MixedCooke:

I just get flashcards at the dollar bin at Target or even the dollar store, there are Your Baby Can Read, Your Baby Can Learn, Baby Genius, Baby Boost that you can order online. Www.star fall.com is a good learning website. I like Johnson & Johnson Bedtime Lavender lotion but they also and have lavender baby wash. I start at the feet and rub towards the heart and give the massages before nap and bedtime. Maybe you need to start over and get a schedule and routine going. Children at that age have short attention spans of like 15 minutes if that, so get clay, bubbles, finger paint, leggos/blocks, cars, sandbox, inflatable pool and fill with ball pit balls, etc. Re-build your bond. It can happen even with strong-willed kids.

DeeMcA79
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM
As Im reading your post and thinking shes talkimg about my 2yr(minus speech delay)he is pulling my hair and bouncing sippy cup off my head. Will be following this post to see advice given.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)