Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you teach your kids how to be smart with money?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 4 Replies

Obviously I want my children to grow up and be smart with money instead being wasteful. I know giving children chores and giving them an allowence shows them how hard it is to work for money, but when they recieve their allowence some kids are reckless with money and spending it on the first thing they see; hence not being smart with money. I know some people think I may be crazy, but certain kids including my own think money grows on trees and I wonder what I could do to teach them to be smart with money?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
corrinacs
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I started giving Caden an allowanec at the age of 3.  And now he buys his own things with his money :).

prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM
My guy just turned 2. I simply tell him no money when he wants to do/buy things when i don't have it. I think they need to understand that you can't just spend all day. We also let him pay (with my money) sometimes so he can understand the exchange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I have no idea.  We haven't done anything about this yet but here is a bump.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Have them put certain parts of the money in different containers. Savings, spending, charity/church/tithing, etc.

My dd is almost 2, so for her being smart with money is not putting it in her mouth. lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)