Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler not sleeping

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is 2 1/2 and we have switched him over to a toddler bed so our 7 month old dd can sleep in the crib but for the last year he has been getting up in the middle of the night almost every night and crawling in bed with us or bawling his eyes out while getting in bed with us and idk what to do. did any of you have issues with your toddler sleeping through the night? what did yall do? I have tried putting him back in his bed and changing his diaper feeding him real good before bed everything and nothing is working

by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

you have to remain consistent.  if he comes to your bed, put  him back in his.  over and over again.  you certainly may lose quite a bit of sleep at first but he has to know you are serious.  as soon as you give in, you start back at square 1 and make it harder and harder each time.  at his age, he's not waking out of hunger.  he's waking out of habit.  break the cycle.

iansmommy9
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Mine 2 1/2 year old has been a horrible sleeper since birth. He goes through phases where he's on the floor, in the hall, in our bed, then he goes through phases where he goes to sleep in his room just fine. The more overtired he is, the worse the night.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM
My dd is 2 and is still teething, so when she has trouble sleeping it's usually that. She's also recently started getting growing pains in her legs which are so excruciatingly painful (I had them as a kid), so I've spent a few nights awake with her massaging her legs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I did that when he was in the crib for 2 months and still didn't work he just screams and cries and now that she is in the crib i can't have him doing that because he will wake her since they share a room. He has been doing this since i found out i was preggers with my dd.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

you have to remain consistent.  if he comes to your bed, put  him back in his.  over and over again.  you certainly may lose quite a bit of sleep at first but he has to know you are serious.  as soon as you give in, you start back at square 1 and make it harder and harder each time.  at his age, he's not waking out of hunger.  he's waking out of habit.  break the cycle.

TheMommaJessie
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

he was a great sleeper until I got pregnant with my dd so idk

Quoting iansmommy9:

Mine 2 1/2 year old has been a horrible sleeper since birth. He goes through phases where he's on the floor, in the hall, in our bed, then he goes through phases where he goes to sleep in his room just fine. The more overtired he is, the worse the night.

Wendsdy
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Does  he take naps? Maybe skip the nap?

laughnchica
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Sounds like insecurity to me especially with the whole deal about it not starting until you got pregnant. I agree with the first response. You got to be consistent. Maybe have a longer bedtime ritual and give him more cuddles and books and just time together before he has to sleep. But if you let him get into bed with you...it is going to get harder and harder to break. I understand him crying will wake your DD but there is a point where either you give in to his actions or show him that he may not like it, but it needs to be that way. 

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

Quoting iansmommy9:

TheMommaJessie
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

he takes one nap a day and if he doesn't take that he takes 3 hours or more to get him to sleep at night and is evil all day.

Quoting Wendsdy:

Does  he take naps? Maybe skip the nap?

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM

my DS has never had any other choice... hes been in his own room since hes been a few weeks old... He knows nothing other than sleeping in his room :) I dont have any advice, but wanted to wish you good luck...! <3

TheMommaJessie
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hubby reads him like 10 stories before bed has his night time lotion on picks his own pjs gives me and sissy hugs and kisses ect fights for almost an hour after stories to even get him to sleep. he was doing great up until i got preggers with our dd after she was born it settled down once we moved in with mil in January he was ok for a month then had to sleep in the playpen with sister in the changing basket or he wouldn't sleep through the night now that we have our own house it hasn't settled. we put him in a toddler bed 2 weeks ago i think and he has slept through the night twice. idk what is going on with him but it has me about insane. we tried putting him back in his bed every night he woke up for 2 months or so and it did nothing but cause more issues.

Quoting laughnchica:

Sounds like insecurity to me especially with the whole deal about it not starting until you got pregnant. I agree with the first response. You got to be consistent. Maybe have a longer bedtime ritual and give him more cuddles and books and just time together before he has to sleep. But if you let him get into bed with you...it is going to get harder and harder to break. I understand him crying will wake your DD but there is a point where either you give in to his actions or show him that he may not like it, but it needs to be that way. 

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

Quoting iansmommy9:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)