Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spilling juice

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have a one year old and a three year old. My three year old is having these moments of being terrible. He is talking back like crazy. His favorite thing is to shake cups and have the contents spray all over the place, and I can not get him to stop. He even now has his little brother doing it. He stops listening and sys he hates everything. He spends all day coming in and out of time out. He throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. It's becoming worse and worse. We have a kids fishing derby tomorrow we are taking the kids to and I am worried how he is going to handle it. I don't know what to do. Any ideas or advice are really appreciated 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
iansmommy9
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Are you being consistent with time out? Also if you react to what they are doing, lots of times toddlers thrive on that negative attention. If he's acting up in time out, simply ignore it, but reset the timer. 

As for the cups. I might restrict access to cups until he starts acting like a big boy. You hold the cup when he wants to drink, then it get put away. When he complains, simply expaln that it's not nice to make a mess with our cup and since you have been making messes, I will help you drink.  

If he acts up tomorrow, put him in time out right then. Either under a tree away from everyone else, or take him to the car (cool and with an adult with him of course) to sit a few minutes. He has to know that acting up in public isn't acceptable. I've honestly only had to do one public time out and take my son out twice. After proving that I would follow through with my threats, he knows not to test me.

Good luck.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Just keep shutting him down.  3 is a tough year, way worse than 2 IMO.  If he shakes his cup to spill, the cup is taken.  Consistency, consistency, consistency. 

I would sit him down first thing in the morning and explain that you guys are going to do something REALLY fun today.  Lay out the expectations for behavior and clearly explain that if he cannot follow the rules, he will come home and miss the fun.  Maybe you take 2 cars in case 1 of you needs to take him home while the the other stays with little brother to have fun.  If he acts up tomorrow, give him a warning and remind him of the expectations and potential consequence.  If he acts up again, he goes home.  He may have to lose something big to get the message.  It's a punishment for you too but he has to know that the world stops when he doesn't behave.  He also needs to know that you say what you mean and mean what you say.

Have fun tomorrow!!

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I would just take the cup right away and if he sits nicely he can have it back, if he does it again take it and he can be done. Stay consistent with timeouts. Good luck
---terrah---
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM

3 was much harder with my older DS than 2 ever was. It's a really frustrating time. Just continue to be consistent with whatever punishment you are dishing out. It will seem like your LO is always in timeout but keep reminding yourself that every timeout needs to be looked at as a learning experience. And hopefully, at the end of the day, your LO is one step closer to better behavior.

As far as the cup, I'd sit DS down and tell him that if he sprays his drink all over the place he is going to have to start drinking from a baby sippy cup. Have one on hand and every time he starts to shake his juice everywhere, get out the non-spill sippy and let him use that.

If he gets rowdy at the fishing derby, pull him aside and let him know if he acts out anymore, he'll have to go home. The hard part will be that if he does act out after you give him his first warning, you will have no choice but to pack up and leave. As terrible as it would be, sometimes kids have to really miss out on something to learn their lesson!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)