Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to a new preschool room

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughters daycare has preschool and she is in a class that is 3 and fours mix. Well at the end of the yesr they do parent/ teacher conferences to just inform you how they are doing ect. My friend has had her son there for two years so that is. How I know. They have a folder ect. So I am scheduled with the teacher for tuesday but I asked her as I was walking out if she was ready to be moved and she said yes and that is exactly what she was going to tell me at the conference she is more then ready for a full fludged 4 yr old classroom. My daughter on the other hand does not want to be with out her friends. But there are more girls ect. So I will wait and see. Everyone is being switched around so she wont be with her friends probably and she needs to preogress. 

She said she she can spell her namd and very close to spelling her last name. I guess I don't want her to be upset. But her teacher is not even in the 3-4 any more so she really didnt want to leave her but the teacher is not there so she should be ok if that was her reason before. So that is my dilemma. 

She has always been bright little girl. I want her to get the most out of this school before kindegarten. 

by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CatFishMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My take on that is that she cant stay with her friends once she hits regular school, itll change every year, so as much as it stinks as a parent to see your kid upset, it's part of life. Just tell her flat out that as you get bigger, you move to the bigger classes. It's literally that simple.

libramoon007
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Yeah. But I always tried to get in the classes with my friends and she did move into this class after being with her daycare all her life and moved to another state. But i guess it is part of life. It is hard to explain that to a 4 yr old. I am going to see if maybe she can go dor one or two days and see how she likes it and then move her. She might not even know the difference really. 

mommyofnoah208
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I think if she is ready to move up she should, there will still be friends for her. But it is good to move forward. Good luck
---terrah---
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:59 PM

That's tough because at 4, kids still don't comprehend the full picture. So all your LO is worried about is losing her friends and moving into a room with kids that she doesn't know. She doesn't understand how moving up will benefit her in the long run...and trying to explain that to her would be a waste of time.

I'd let her move up but just keep reminding her that her friends will still be her friends, even if they are in a different room. Maybe you can set up some playdates outside of school so that they can see each other again.

You could also just mention to the teacher in the new room how your DD is feeling. Normally if a teacher knows that a child is anxious or nervous, they'll go out of their way to make him/her feel welcome. I know that my preschooler had a rough first day when he first started preschool. But the teacher went out of her way to introduce him to all the kids and within the first day, he had 2 new best friends!!!!

libramoon007
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Yeah i  just hope  some ofnthe kids do get switched to her class.. Too. They are being switched around., it will work out. They see each other all the time. I am going to have her go into the new class two days the whole day and see how it goes. She is ready for more. 

corrinacs
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

That's fantastic!!  I can understand her not wanting to change, but she will adjust in a few days, I promise :) :)

Wendsdy
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

My 5 year old had a hard time going to kindergarten because her best friend stayed in preschool. The friends birthday was after the cut off so she couldn't start kindergarten. Plus her friend lives in a different school district so they wouldn't have been in the same school anyway.  Its a year after preschool ended and we still have play dates with her best friend. Just because they aren't in the same class doesn't mean they can't be friends :)

libramoon007
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM

She is in a class with mostly boys and I think she needs to be with more girls. She also needs more out of the preschool classroom to get her ready for Kindergarten. They do alot more in the older classroom because they have four and five year olds. I want her to have the best advantage not be stuck behind because she doesn't to move forward. i think you are all right she will find new friends and adjust. She adjusted so well to the move. I want her to move I am a little sad the teacher went to a different class because I am not fond of those other teachers but maybe after awhile I will get to know them ect. It's hard to be the new parent also. It's a good opportunity for us parents to meet too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)