Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you do the three main meals for your toddlers?

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband has twins that just turned 4 years old and they like to take forever to eat each meal and we have to tell them to get them to take bites. My mother in law says we are wrong and shouldn't do breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She keeps claiming we should just make food, set it out, and they will eventually eat it. We aren't sure we can trust them to eat on their own time and it doesn't seem like they aren't eating because they aren't hungry, but because they just don't want to. How do you feed your toddlers throughout the day? Also, we give them snacks, but not too much, so it is not like we are making them starve aside from those meals.
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
BLUMENSH9
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Well with Brooke she is still nursed on demand so she is constantly eating rather it be solids or breast milk. We do try to do all 3 with snacks in between, but she doesn't always eat it. I have found out that she LOVES vanilla yogurt. :D I am trying to keep her food healthy.

CafeMom Tickers
momofsunshine77
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I do 3 meals a day. My 4 yo also takes forever to eat, but I will not go away from 3 meals a day (partly my issue) I don't think they should "graze" all day long.
ModaMama
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My boys are 3 and 5.  Our family all sits down together to have breakfast and dinner and the family minus DH has lunch (while he's at work) together.  Then the boys have two snacks during the day and access to a waterbottle all day if they want to drink between those.

Ashley0523
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I always do 3 meals my boys are 5 and 21 months and they get breakfast , lunch and dinner and a snack at 2 and before bed

PEEK05
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids eat breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner.

MamaLioness2012
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't force him to eat. If he doesn't eat, then he's gonna be hungry. He gets 3 meals a day, snacks if he wants them (I know it sounds like it defeats the purpose of the above statement but they aren't huge filling snacks, just enough to tie him over and not be cranky, but not enough to fill him up). The hardest part is at dinner because if he doesn't eat enough he is super hungry in the morning and is a pain in the butt.

But, I can't make him eat if he doesn't want to. I don't beg (I may ask a few times but I don't make him something different and I don't play his game of, I will throw all the food on the floor, you pick it up and give it to me several times before I even THINK of eating it.)

MamaLioness2012
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It's actually better for the metabolism to graze all day, but that's just some knowledge. I don't practice it very well. My son does the 3 meals a day and I'm lucky if I eat twice even though my Doctor told me I should be grazing all day due to certain health issues. So this isn't me being mean (I can see how CM can turn this into me lashing out or something), just making a simple statement that doesn't change either of our lives :-)

Quoting momofsunshine77:

I do 3 meals a day. My 4 yo also takes forever to eat, but I will not go away from 3 meals a day (partly my issue) I don't think they should "graze" all day long.

CafeMom Tickers
momofsunshine77
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM
That is good to know, but I don't think my OCD is going to let me survive if I did that. LOL (I think I would literally go crazy LOL) I have a real issue with food. spaghetti sauce on the floor I am scrubbing immediately. Mud, oh well it will dry and get it later, maybe. LOL ;)
Quoting MamaLioness2012:

It's actually better for the metabolism to graze all day, but that's just some knowledge. I don't practice it very well. My son does the 3 meals a day and I'm lucky if I eat twice even though my Doctor told me I should be grazing all day due to certain health issues. So this isn't me being mean (I can see how CM can turn this into me lashing out or something), just making a simple statement that doesn't change either of our lives :-)

Quoting momofsunshine77:

GE1
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I give him 3 meals and three snacks sometimes his meals just become snacks though like today's breakfast turned into a snack since he would not eat the breakfast but then ate it later. It's like us sometimes we are just not that hungry but then later we will be. As long as he eats, that is the main thing

itsm3
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, kids need structure in their day.  at a young age, they don't have any concept of time or structure.  dd eats 5 times a day (3 meals + 2 snacks), eats at the same time every day and sleeps at the same time every day.  when your body is set to a predictable schedule, it operates best. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)