Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
I have seen a lot of posts lately about giving kids stuff to sleep. I don't do that, but I have an issue with my 2 dd. They have NO trouble going to sleep at night, all I do is say night-night time and they go to bed. My problem is they don't stay sleeping in the morning. They are up anywhere between 4 and 5 in the morning for the day!!! I have tried later bed times and cutting naps, increased activity - especially since it is warmer now. NOTHING works. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get them to sleep later in the morning. At least 6:30 7 would be nice. I am tired of getting up so early so I can get a shower in before they wake up. Thanks for any advice!!!
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-15):
momofsunshine77
by Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I have a clock like that for my 4 yo. She still gets up and says I got up before the clock turned green! She understands that she isn't supposed to get up before that, but she does anyway and treats it like she beat the clock. LOL
Quoting PAmommy32:

My 3 year old is an early riser.  I tried everything, blackout curtains, earlier bedtime, later bedtime, everything.  He is just a natural early riser.  What worked for us is the My Tot Clock.  You can set the time and it changes blue at bedtime (good because then it is the clock and not me announcing bedtime) and yellow in the morning when he is allowed to get out of bed.  Then just let them know they have to stay in bed, or at least their rooms until the clock says it is morning time.  Good luck!

itsm3
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

i know this sounds counter-productive but i would move your 4yo's bedtime earlier than 8; same with your 2yr old's bedtime.  although they nap during the day, a 9 or 10pm bedtime is still too late for kids that young.

overtired babies/kids wake up early in the morning and don't sleep solidly through the night. 

what happens when they wake at 5am?  are they allowed to get up and do stuff ie. play/watch tv etc?  kids like doing this so they WILL continue to wake early to do that stuff. 

when my dd wakes up earlier than normal, the rule is that she is to stay in her room until 7am.  i don't care what she does as long as it's quiet and she remains in her room.  when kids know that they won't be able to play etc, and they're relegated to boring things when they wake too early, it's not an incentive to get up in the morning so they tend to sleep in.  this is what happened to my friend's 4yo..he started waking at 530am and then he was allowed to go downstairs and watch tv so he kept on waking up at that time.  when i told her to keep him in his room, he stopped waking at 530am and started waking up at 7am again. 

Quoting momofsunshine77:

They wake up at like 5. They nap after lunch between 12 and 1 and sleep for about 1 1/2. My 4 yo sometimes wont take nap at all. Then bed at 8. I have tried the later bed time and it did not work. My 2 1/2 year old has been up until 9 and my 4 yo until 10. and they still both got up.
Quoting itsm3:

what time is his bedtime and what time is his nap?  post his schedule for the day.

JulietAngel89
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

tie them up and gag them lol

not seriously but i would feel like doing it.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I read that they still nap and thats fine but take one day and skip it. That is what works with my ds when he is doing the whole I have to wake you up before the sun comes up. Also I read where you have a clock but they don't want to go by it, I would say do a reward chart for it. For every morning they go by it and stay in their room till the clock goes off they get a sticker on the bord. If they go a week they get a small toy they wanted or extra time in the sprinkler or maybe pool or even outside. Things like that. With my ds we have a chart for other things but he gets to blow the catch bubles every night if he gets x amount. Its working good for us. Our ds is 3 by the way. Good luck to you

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

some people are just naturally early risers, not sure there is much you can do about it. my dd was up at 5 today :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN