Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunblock?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 29 Replies

We had a family day at the beach yesterday, and unfortunately, my 4 year old got her first sunburn. Even my 15 month old got a touch of burn on her cheeks, DESPITE spraying both girls down with some Banana Boat SPF 1 Billion.

Perhaps it wasn't that great because it was a spray? We sprayed them down when we arrived, and every two hours in between as well.

My question is, does anyone have any sunblock suggestions for future use? We only live about 3 hours from the beach so we go a lot during the summer and I don't want the girls to have to deal with sunburns again :(

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Every time we have used a spray we get sunburned, I try and get sunblock that is mineral based with Zinc. 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Coconut oil is a great natural sunblock. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

This is the website I used to choose our sunblock http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/

robibuni
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Okay I'll look for that, thanks!

We always use the spray for them in the swimming pool in the front yard and they never get burned...but I suppose an entire day at the beach is different than pool time in the yard!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Every time we have used a spray we get sunburned, I try and get sunblock that is mineral based with Zinc. 

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
We use Avon skin so soft sun block its also a bug repellent.
robibuni
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm contemplating rubbing breastmilk on my younger DD's cheeks to see if it helps, lol

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

remember you also have to apply it 15 before going outside and especially with the spray kind you have to completly dry when applying it. The website has every sunscreen broken down in to catagories like beach and sports lip balms and so on and rated. 

Quoting robibuni:

Okay I'll look for that, thanks!

We always use the spray for them in the swimming pool in the front yard and they never get burned...but I suppose an entire day at the beach is different than pool time in the yard!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I bet it would! ;)

Quoting robibuni:

I'm contemplating rubbing breastmilk on my younger DD's cheeks to see if it helps, lol

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

We are going to use California Baby stick this year.

LML1
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Awh... I tried the spray last year. Didn't work well for us either. I bought the regular lotion this year. She looks albino when we go outside to play   : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)