Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

using I and Me

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 24 Replies

What age do kids typically start referring to themselves as "I" and "Me" ??

Like "I want some food." "I'm hungry." Or pointing to a picture of themselves on the wall then patting their chest and asking "Me?"

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Neither of my 2 1/2 years olds do that yet.  My almost 4 year old is hit or miss.  He points to pictures or mirrors and says "LOOK Izzy", not "me".

He has gotten lots better about putting "I" in front of requests or statments about himself, but now he has dropped the word 'we' for the word 'us'.  "Us is going to eat dinner?" 

The closest the two year olds get to 'Me' or "I /i'm" is "my".   "My hungry" "my falldown" 

CelestialSong
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I'm wondering about this too. My daughter is almost 2 and she calls herself "you"! Like she wants to "watch you" on my phone (videos of herself), and if she sees a picture of herself she points and says "You!" I'm kind of at a loss how to teach her that she's only "you" to other people but to herself she's "me/I" and everyone else is "you". It's pretty complicated now that I'm having to think about it.

mommyofnoah208
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I forget when that happens..it probably varies quite a bit.
PEEK05
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

My 4 year old has been doing that for about a year or so.  My 2 year old son doesn't refer to himself as ANYTHING.

Ashcf06
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Lol for the longest time my son said "hold you" when he wanted to be held. Just today he started saying "hold ME". I won't lie, I was kind of sad lol. Btw, he's 2 and a half.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I was asking because hailey has been saying I and Me for the last couple weeks. I was thinking it was on the early side because i am pretty sure ian wasn't saying this until much later.

she always says "I want ... (insert food/drink/item)" and she refers to herself as me as well.

Quoting PEEK05:

My 4 year old has been doing that for about a year or so.  My 2 year old son doesn't refer to himself as ANYTHING.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Good question! I'm trying to remember, I guess around 3?

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

the examples above are things my 17 month old has been saying. I was thinking she was early on it but wasn't sure.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Good question! I'm trying to remember, I guess around 3?

PEEK05
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I think around 2 is when they start doing that.  DS's evaluation included that as 2 year old milestones. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

I was asking because hailey has been saying I and Me for the last couple weeks. I was thinking it was on the early side because i am pretty sure ian wasn't saying this until much later.

she always says "I want ... (insert food/drink/item)" and she refers to herself as me as well.

Quoting PEEK05:

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I'm pretty sure using pronouns is a 3 year old language goal.  My DS is almost 5 now.  He started working on pronoun usage as a goal in speech/language when he was 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)