Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

IDC what she eats.

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM
  • 55 Replies

I wanna know what others think of this statement.

I don't care what she eat's , as long as she eats!

My DD is 2 1/2 and is pretty petite. 33inches tall and 21lbs and doesn't eat enough to keep a mouse a live. So is it wrong to give her chocolate cereal for breakfast and starchy raman noodles for lunch , chips and dip for a snack etc. just to make sure she eats?

(no bashing , If I didn't want what was best for her I wouldn't have posted)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:44 AM
3 moms liked this
When my dd was around 2 she barely ate. We thought that fairy farts and pixie dust were keeping her alive.

Her dr told us to give her that she will eat and as much as she wanted. She didn't care for sweet stuff but loved fruits. I made her lots of smoothies just to get calories into her.

I would offer, and still do, six small meals a day. I find that she eats a little more and more variety of food.
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
In the past id say go for it and let your child eat as they please if they are that picky. I myself have a picky 4yr old. However, even with brushing his teeth 2-3 times a day he needs serious dental work done. I know this won't ring true for all children but it happens. Things like chips even if you brush right away still leave behind particles because of the way they are made. His dentist told us things such as chips and other snacks or snacks that are left for a child to linger around and eat can cause serious issues later on.
STVUstudent
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:50 AM
7 moms liked this

The real problem with letting her have these types of foods as a regular part of her diet is that they are essentially empty calories.  Yes, she is eating, but what she is eating is nutritionally void.  One's palette is easily manipulated to prefer high sodium high fat high sugar foods... most of which are nutritionally void.  By offering healthier fare and only when she is hungry, you will be helping to set up better overal nutrition for th elong haul.  It is hard to switch to healthier foods later- trust me- I have fought this battle.  

I had the same argument with my spouse a couple of years ago, when ours were that age.  The thing is, at 2-1/2, her food requirement may be a lot lower than we as adults think it should be.  It really is individual for all kids... at 2-1/2, my twins ate almost nothing, while baby sister ate everything.  My youngest could put away half a pork loin at that age...  My spouse would let them eat a cookie so they wouldn't go to bed on an empty stomach... 

If you give her ramen for lunch, mix in some thinly sliced and sauted veggies- the more colorful the better.  Better yet, try a vegetable noodle soup.  Replace the chips and dip with whole grain crackers or pita wedges and hummus, or strips of brightly colored bell pepper, carrots, cucumbers or tomatoes dipped in hummus or ranch or taziki sauce.

Because she is eating so little (and may really not feel hungry), you need to make sure that what she does it is heavy on the nutrition scale.  Whole grain breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, lean meats if you eat meat, high quality dairy, nuts and nut butters...

For breakfast, try a few slices of apple with peanut butter or cheese, or strawberries dipped in nutella.  If she loves chocolate cereal (my oldest did too), try nutella on whole grain toast or fruit (or both- our favorite is a nutella and sliced strawberry sandwich).

Good luck, mom... by asking the question, you do seem to care what your little one eats... you just want her to eat...

jenaree
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I get what you're saying but nuturition rich foods will be better for sustaining her and keeping her healthy. The problem with those foods is that they are empty calories and since she is eating so little you want to make sure that what she does get down is going to pack a big punch nutrition wise. Things like fruit smoothies with veggies blended in and protein instead of empty carbs and sugar.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this

My ds was the same way. We just did healthy snacks through out the day. He could eat things like apples and grapes when ever he wanted.  We also got veggie chips and he loves those.  He is now 3 and weighs almost 30 lbs. Good luck

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Most Dr's at that point will say the samething, as long as it is something.

But in all honesty, if they are so picky and will only eat the junky stuff, you do need to re-look at how you are going to change that. Are you giving suplements in anyway? Have you tried hidding fruits and veggies in other foods?

Does she like KD (kraft dinner)? I make homemade and puree cauliflower in the cheese sauce. My kids love it and my oldest is 11 and till a few weeks ago had no idea the cauliflower was even in there (my kids are not picky at all though) How about pb and banana smoothies with yougurt in it, some wheat germ, a little probitics etc.....

Its fine for a while to let them choose and just feed them what they like, so they actually eat but in reality its just not healthy.

You can do a lot of homemade meals that seem junky but that really are not, if she likes chicken fingers make homemade, healthier then store bought, adding in what you can make homemade will balance out the chocolate breakfast and add in some better nutrients in other places.

I pre-make snacks for my kids in baggies (princess or cars on them) and put in grapes, celery carrots, melons, etc......we make some veggie and fruit dips. and the baggies of portioned sized fruits and veggies go in the crisper, and its a snack and go, they can take them whenever they want, little containers of the dip in there, I cut up meats and cheeses samething ready to snack on. I have a low shelf that has other snacks, like dunkaroos and fruit snacks and crackers, and they are labled with a monday or tuesday etc....in a smaller box and they can pick out of that box and that box only, and that is all their junk snacks for the day, when its empty its empty.

I would suggest maybe trying an approach like this with some healthier stuff to really get that balance of foods in there, we dont want to create bad eating habbits and well forcing is a hard thing, but maybe by setting up drawer or shelf of choices she knows she can have whenever between main meals she will pick those grapes even if its 3 grapes,. kwim? Well good luck and sorry for the novel. lol Oh I started this with my oldest when she was little and my kids are 11 and 5 and 16 months old, my 16 month old has one set for her too. lol

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I felt that way somedays when DD was going through a picky phase (she is 6 now) but I kept introducing healthy foods in new ways and found some foods she will only eat cooked/steamed. Carrots she won't eat raw but she will eat them steamed with a bit of a brown sugar.

You just have to find what works for your child.

me-n-mygirls
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
will she drink?? if so, make smoothies and stuff.

does she like certain foods? ones she would eat all day everyday if you let her?

I agree to an extent.... it still needs to be food not treats/desserts.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM
My daughter is the same! However, I limit her choices to "healthier" foods. If she doesn't eat st that meal then we try again. Took about a year of struggling with her tho. It's no fun. To this day she will go some days on only one meal......
MPH_2010
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thank you these are great replacment ideas!

Quoting STVUstudent:

The real problem with letting her have these types of foods as a regular part of her diet is that they are essentially empty calories.  Yes, she is eating, but what she is eating is nutritionally void.  One's palette is easily manipulated to prefer high sodium high fat high sugar foods... most of which are nutritionally void.  By offering healthier fare and only when she is hungry, you will be helping to set up better overal nutrition for th elong haul.  It is hard to switch to healthier foods later- trust me- I have fought this battle.  

I had the same argument with my spouse a couple of years ago, when ours were that age.  The thing is, at 2-1/2, her food requirement may be a lot lower than we as adults think it should be.  It really is individual for all kids... at 2-1/2, my twins ate almost nothing, while baby sister ate everything.  My youngest could put away half a pork loin at that age...  My spouse would let them eat a cookie so they wouldn't go to bed on an empty stomach... 

If you give her ramen for lunch, mix in some thinly sliced and sauted veggies- the more colorful the better.  Better yet, try a vegetable noodle soup.  Replace the chips and dip with whole grain crackers or pita wedges and hummus, or strips of brightly colored bell pepper, carrots, cucumbers or tomatoes dipped in hummus or ranch or taziki sauce.

Because she is eating so little (and may really not feel hungry), you need to make sure that what she does it is heavy on the nutrition scale.  Whole grain breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, lean meats if you eat meat, high quality dairy, nuts and nut butters...

For breakfast, try a few slices of apple with peanut butter or cheese, or strawberries dipped in nutella.  If she loves chocolate cereal (my oldest did too), try nutella on whole grain toast or fruit (or both- our favorite is a nutella and sliced strawberry sandwich).

Good luck, mom... by asking the question, you do seem to care what your little one eats... you just want her to eat...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)