Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How does your young toddler play?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

Does your young toddler in the lets say 15 month to 18 month age range play with toys? Like sit for hours with toys and play by themselves?

My dd is 16.5 months now and she loves to play by herself for hours. She has been in her room playing with toys for over an hr. I go in and check on her every 10-15 minutes and she is still in there just playing away. She will sit with her books and look at them for a hr before moving to something else, she makes sure she looks at all her books before she moves on, and her second fav to play is with her train, which she will play with for hours.

Is this attention span normal, ok well I know it isnt most kids tha gae dont have the attention span to play that long with one item. In the times the tv is actually on, she can watch a whole movie without going anywhere else to play she will just sit and point at it and laugh and dance to the music, but not leave for toys or loose interest in what she is doing.

Should I be concerened about this at all? Is it worth mentioning at her 18 month appointment in August? Or should I just be happy she is very content. lol

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

my dd would do that with books when she was about that age but i never left her for that long to continue :)  both of my kids have always been able to entertain themselves so i wouldn't be concerned about it, i just wouldn't leave her for that long on a regular basis.  if she's doing well, engage her in the play.  build a tower together or have a tea party or whatever she's doing.  my son always like us to just sit and watch him play but not interrupt his play. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Oh we play together all the time its all we do in the day time. lol But in my time when I need to do things, she just plays by herself in her room or in the living room, alone or with her older sisters.

She has always been a be by herself kid, she slept by herself in her crib in the dark at 8 days old, right through the night. She wont let anyone hold her and never has, she does not liked to be rocked at all.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

my dd would do that with books when she was about that age but i never left her for that long to continue :)  both of my kids have always been able to entertain themselves so i wouldn't be concerned about it, i just wouldn't leave her for that long on a regular basis.  if she's doing well, engage her in the play.  build a tower together or have a tea party or whatever she's doing.  my son always like us to just sit and watch him play but not interrupt his play. 

RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be concerned--I'd be thrilled! My son had a pretty good attention span when he was younger. At age 3 he had the patience for puzzles that some of my older day care kiddos wouldn't sit still for.

That changed when he got older... now he's very easily distracted!

PEEK05
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My kids do this sometimes and sometimes not.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM
My 2 year old has never played by himself for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I would be concerned, especially if it is repetitive (reading the same books over & over, same sequence of toys or same toys for a long period of time).
auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
So does my soon to be 18 month old.

Quoting PEEK05:

My kids do this sometimes and sometimes not.

blapier
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Yep! Especially with books!
BLUMENSH9
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM

DD plays by herself a lot, she loves to "cook" with her toy food and kitchen and she loves looking at books. However most of the time she will bring a toy to me so that we can play with it together. :D One of her other favorite things to do is "talk" on the phone. LOL

CafeMom Tickers
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM

See dd is non-verbal, and only started to babble at 12 months of age, walk at 16 months old (only been 2 weeks of walking) I thought once she started walking she would not stay by herself anymore. I play with her all day, likie the park and books and legos and all that she colors and does play-dough and finger paints etc.......But in the times that i am busy doing stuff she is very happy and content to just be by herself and always has been, she does not cry to be held or picked upped EVER. She was never a clingy kid at all. Just sat and smiled and laughed at everyone and anything.

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Hmmm...it sounds a little concerning to me, only because my DS was somewhat like this as well. Also, the fact that she doesn't like being held and her milestones are on the later side is a little concerning. DS is 3.5 now and is more typical in how long he sits and plays with things...but he has been in occupational therapy for 2 years. He was at the later end of walking as well (15 months), which in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. DD didn't walk until 16 months, but I would consider her attention span much more typical of her age, although she is also pretty good at entertaining herself. She will come and seek me out after a few minutes, or purposely do something "naughty" if I'm doing something else. Anyway, it turns out DS was more of a "movement avoider" and has difficulty initiating and planning out ideas/movements for more novel activities and games. He also has the tendency to hyperfocus--meaning he could sit and play with something for a really long time and tune everything (or most everything) else out. If kids do play with something for awhile, they'll often seek someone out after awhile to show them something or engage them in their play. You daughter may be perfectly fine, but I just wanted to share with you my experiences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)