Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you consider the Easter Bunny and Santa to be lies that are told to children?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 55 Replies

Do you feel that parents are lying to their children or do you think it's just a part of childhood for some families?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KPJ
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
No... To me it's like promoting children imagination
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I doubt any child will be emotionally scarred from believing in Santa. I think fantasy is good for kids imagination. My kids never believed in the Easter bunny or Tooth fairy but we love Santa.

So for us its not a lie.
sthflachk
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Yes...but it is part of childhood.

I had no intentions of promoting either....and then last fall my dd saw all the different holiday movies and BAM! Santa was all she talked about.

Then she saw that movie Rise of the Guardians...which introduced her to all of them...sigh.
RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM
8 moms liked this

No. Santa Claus IS real... it is the giving spirit that lives inside each of us. It is the magic that we create for our children. I LOVED that it was part of my childhood and am happy to share it with my children.

Easter Bunny... we don't talk him up a lot, but "he" does leave the kids some goodies. Is the easter bunny real? Yes. *I* am the Easter Bunny. Just like I am doctor, nurse, teacher, cook, and a million other things to my children. :)

PEEK05
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We do all the fun stuff about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny, but my kids are raised knowing that it's me lol.  They think it's real fun to get pictures with Santa and the bunny and do all the fun non-religious events too! :)

Quoting RobynS:

No. Santa Claus IS real... it is the giving spirit that lives inside each of us. It is the magic that we create for our children. I LOVED that it was part of my childhood and am happy to share it with my children.

Easter Bunny... we don't talk him up a lot, but "he" does leave the kids some goodies. Is the easter bunny real? Yes. *I* am the Easter Bunny. Just like I am doctor, nurse, teacher, cook, and a million other things to my children. :)

RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

we don't really do pics with the bunny--I think the giant bunny is creepy. I always pictured a much smaller bunny--larger than the ones in our yard, but not human sized! Eek!

DS has only had a pic with Santa twice, I think. And DD only once.

Quoting PEEK05:

We do all the fun stuff about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny, but my kids are raised knowing that it's me lol.  They think it's real fun to get pictures with Santa and the bunny and do all the fun non-religious events too! :)

Quoting RobynS:

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Technically I guess it's lying but I look at it more as promoting imagination and getting kids into the spirit of the given occasion. People lie to their kids about all kinds of "beings". It's part of life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I agree..but growing up was a childhood thing for me and my hubby.

Quoting KPJ:

No... To me it's like promoting children imagination
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

When I was told about Santa not being real, my Mom said my response was "is there any other holidays I should know about" LOL

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Yeah its technically a lie but they'll get over it. Its the magic of childhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)