Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dance or Gymnastics ?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 22 Replies
Hey mommies . I'm new to the group . I have a dd who will be turning 2 in July named Gracelyn . She loves to dance so I was thinking about putting her in a pre dance class at a local dance studio . It's only a half hour class that is $35 a month . Only problem with that is once she finished that class try don't have anymore classes till she is 5 . So I was looking into a gymnastics/tumbling class and I found a parent & tot gymnastics class that is $72 a month and an hour long class but it is something that we can do together that I think we would both enjoy . I was just hoping to get some advice and see if any other mommies have put your little dd's in dance or gymnastics and if they liked it ?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newfie_Mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
My DD1 started dance at 3 she is almost 9 now and still dancing. We started with one class and added classes as she got older she is in 4 now. She also started gymnastics at 3 but it was a waste of money (her class!!! not all of them are this way) they just let the kids run around and play on the equipment.

My DS started dance at 2 and loved class but hated performing.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
No dance for us. My dd would love it but after watching 3 nieces do it at my dd's age, I decided it was way too expensive for what the kids would actually learn at 3/4. We did gymnastics instead and that was a good investment. She loved it and got to do a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM
We do both. I bet the girls prefer dance, but gymnastics is in the morning and dance in the afternoon, I prefer morning classes, but we just had our first dance recital last weekend and it was fantastic.
Tallmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
My DD has been taking dance since she was 3 but they offered class all the way up from there. She was really just interested in dance though.
Maybe doing the gymnastics class would be better so you won't have the 'lack of classes till age five' issue with the dance studio. Plus you will be able to participate w her which be be the most fun. :)
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Both. My girls did dance/gymnastics swimming and soccer and bowling and martial arts. Starting at the age of 2.

They still do them at 5 and 11.

flprincessmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

DD is in dance (hip hop) and loves it...1 hour a week and is also in competitions....$15 a class....

PEEK05
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My daughter prefers dance but hasn't joined dance class yet.  We have done gymnastics/tumbling and she's liked it.  I think she would like dance better though. She currently wants to be a ballerina lol.

corrinacs
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Consideing you cannot continue with dance for a while, I'd start with the gymnatics.  Its more expensive, but if she enjoys it you can continue.  If not, you can wait for dance classes :)

Hope this helps!

KLove_Mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

A lot of toddler gymnastics classes will also do dancing movements during ribbon and hula-hoop play... or wiggling songs. 

I'm so glad I started my 3 year olds in gymnastics. They are so strong and coordinated. They learn to sit in a line waiting their turn for something. They listen to the teacher and participate in the instructed way. 

My daughter will start dance this fall in conjunction with continuing her gymnastics. I've seen the 3 year old dance reciatls, and never thought it was worth it until the child can actually master a whole routine. 5 is a good age for that.

robibuni
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My DD has a strong dance preference (she's 4), but I feel like gymnastics would be better for her because as much as she enjoys dancing, she's more of a rough and tumble kinda girl. 

She's IN swim lessons currently and enjoys that A LOT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)