Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your SO and Your Tot

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 29 Replies

When/if your kid is under 4 does your SO try to involve them in activities?

My DH feels like there isn't much he can do with LO because he's 2 but thats so untrue. I try to get him involved with as much as I can, he enjoys the learning experience and being able to help. I let him do age appropiate things in the kitchen, help me pick up, and do laundry.

All day when my DH is gone LO is asking about him and he is usually sleep when he gets home. And on his off days most of what I hear from DH is go back in there, go ds I'm busy, you can't help with this.

I see that he so desperately wants to spend time with his dad but DH sees his age as a total hinderance. Anyone else goes through this?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Its difficult, but certaionly doable.  Ask your DH the next "task" he has to do around the house.  Then suggest things.  I think its more or less your SO isn't sure WHAT to do!  Once you start suggesting things, it will make more sense to him :)

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Hubby plays catch with the kids (8 and 3) takes them fishing, he reads to him, plays cars and trains with 3yr old. There is lots they can do with daddy
ImNotKarl
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

My husband does a LOT with our son. Our baby is 2, and Brandon ALWAYS has time for Cooper if he's not working. They are thick as thieves and do everything together.

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I tried this today. He said I was trying to guilt trip him by giving suggestions.

Quoting corrinacs:

Its difficult, but certaionly doable.  Ask your DH the next "task" he has to do around the house.  Then suggest things.  I think its more or less your SO isn't sure WHAT to do!  Once you start suggesting things, it will make more sense to him :)

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

HA!  He sounds more like a chid himself :/.  SOrry it didn't go so well.  

Quoting newwifenmom:

I tried this today. He said I was trying to guilt trip him by giving suggestions.

Quoting corrinacs:

jendawn1
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Hugs my hubby was the same way now that my dd is older they spend more time together. Some men just dont have that "mothering" insinc . Give it timebthey will bond on there own
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My DH started spending a lot more time with DS when he hit around 2.5 or so. In part bc thats when we switched roles temporarily and I went back to work and he stayed home.

They can go to the park. Your LO can play with his pretend tools while your DH uses real tools. (My DS "helped" build our deck). If you have a riding lawnmower, DS can go for lawnmower rides. Bike rides (with bike seat). Matchbox car races. Cooking on a pretend grill while DS grills for real. There is SO much they can do together.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My hubby has always engaged the kids at every age. He taught my son to ice skate at 2. Tons of sports since early on. He was a huge block fan as a toddler. Tons and tons of stuff. My dd loves to mostly sit and read (she'll be 4 next month). My hubby does dance parties with our kids when I'm gone and they've done those for years. He'll have tea parties with her and other girly things.

I think your hubs is just using his age as an excuse to not have to get creative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
My dh does a lot of stuff with our kids.
He plays ball, does puzzles, plays games, chases them around, read books, pushes them on the swings. Builds blocks, Legos, knex, etc.
Today he had a water fight with our 5yo,they weeded the flower bed and garden they unloaded the dishwasher played some made up game and dh read to him.
He played some made up game with our 3yo too. Read her a book. Tucked her in bed. She was more my buddy today. She helped me make dinner and banana splits while the boys were outside.
Dh, played with the baby 9mo. He "flew" her around. Played peek a boo. Worked with her saying words and walking. He fed her, carried her around and rad to her.

He does a lot with our kids. But it took him a year or 2 with our first to feel comfortable with a little kid. Now, 3 kids later he's an old pro!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Actually no my sons helps my df wash his car or hold tools if he's fixing or building something . And he plays with him also
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)