Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do u PT a boy?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 16 Replies
A girl is easy. Sit down. A boy, u gotta worry about pee shooting every which way. LOL how do u go about it. I've heard of someone getting one of those cute urinals that hang off the side of the toilet and thought that'd b easy.
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hriabywx4
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM
4 moms liked this
I've always just sat them on the toilet. Sometimes if they are really young and things don't naturally point south you have to help them point it down until they figure it out. But they usually catch onto that pretty quick.

IMO (I'm currently in the middle of PT boy #5) it's better to start out sitting and intro standing later. You still have to teach them to sit to poo :)

Just offer frequently, praise, praise, praise and if you feel yourself getting frustrated back off for a few days and take a break! Good luck!
ejsmom4604
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

To start, have them sit. That's why on a lot of training potty's they have the lip that comes up to keep the urine from going everywhere. Once he is on the big potty and ready to start standing, have dad teach him. Also it is a great idea to have him go in the bathroom when dad goes so he can see how males go. 

But again, to start, just start like you would with a girl, but understand in general boys take longer. 

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

easy, I taught my son sitting down. when he got older he decided he wanted to stand.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I trained my boy and girl the exact same way. I don't look at it as "potty training a boy/girl" I look at it as potty training a child. I dont like "girls are easier/boys are harder". I think a ready child trains quickly and easily regardless of gender and my 2 proved that. Both trained in nearly the same amount of time (difference of a few days) using the same method with minor differences in rewards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM
We sit my son down in potty prob teach him when he's 3 or 4 to stand but at two he sits. Sometimes his daddy teaches him out to per on a tree outside standing
LavenderMom23
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I can get mine to pee in the potty by setting a 15 minute timer and sitting him on the potty. It's pooping, he just refuses! He's 2 years old.
JT95687
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You train him very carefully ;)  Hubby showed him to sit down and hold down his penis.  You can also have him straddle the toilet and sit backwards so the mess is somewhat contained.  You may need to stay with him until he feels comfortable with that position.  We chose to show him to sit in case he had to poop while peeing. Good luck momma!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Our Angel Babies (forever loved and forever missed)
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
kristine8333
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM
My boy wad actually easier to potty train than my girl-less stressful i guess. Now i got to potty train my 2ed boy(2 yrs old) and daughtet(not for another 2 yrs or so since she is only a month old) & then well see who is easier to potty train between my last 2 hehe
ladyluke2007
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Cheerios or fruit loops in the pot and tell him to sink them.  I did this.  It was really easy for my boys.  Took all of about 3 days to fully potty train my Elijah.

Lovin' Wife of John & Proud Momma to Ashley-26 (Lovin' Wife to Pat & Momma to Liam, Helen & Caroline), Matt-23,Tim-22,Tasha-20, Becky-18, Davy-16, Tommy-10 & Elijah-4yrs. & Gramma of Sarah-6, Liam-4yrs. & Nathias 14mos/12, Helen & her twin Caroline 9mos.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I started my boy sitting. As soon as itstarted to shoot out, he automatically pointed it down and continued to do so until he decided hes big enough to stand. Now i have to work with him in keeping the seat down and sit on that to poop,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)