Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Harness Backpack/Carowinds/Airport (Edit to add picture of the backpack That I am thinking about.)

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 34 Replies

I normally do not agree with them. I mean I see the benefits sometimes, but I always used to say that I would never use them. 

Well this weekend we are going to Carowinds for my younger brothers birthday. We do not have anyone else who can watch him while we are there, plus there are lots of things that he can do when we are there. We will have our stroller and our Ergo. But I know he will want to walk around too, which he always holds our hands when he does. But I am still a little nervous. Plus in a few months I will be flying with 2 stops with him by myself. I am debating on getting one of those backpacks, he would still hold my hand but it would be there for extra security. Any help? Or ideas?

He is 18 months old. He would still be holding my hand in it, but it would be there for extra security.

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I have one for DD. I got it for when we went for a long nature walk with DS's school group. I have issues with children being around water. LOL.

Honestly,who cares what people think. In the end you feeling safe and your child's safety trumps what some random noisy Nancy thinks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koux
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Go for it!, I don't think there's anything wrong with them, as long as you use them correctly. We had one for my now 4 year old (we haven't used it with the strap since he was about 2), it saved his life a few times. He was a persistent runner, he would dash away from us at any opportunity. I would make him hold my hand, but have the strap looped around my wrist just in case he got away from me. I don't agree with parents I see holding on to it like a dog leash, with their kids pulling at it. The strap shouldn't be taut for more than a second or two. For us, it was more of a safeguard while he was learning to stay with us, especially if we're walking on a busy street or crowded park or mall. In those situations, it would be very dangerous if he got away even for a few seconds. My son actually loved to wear it, and would ask to wear his "monkey backpack"! :) I agree with you though - before I had kids I said I would never use one of those. It's amazing how you change your tune once you're actually there. :) you do what you have to in order to keep your kids safe!

pregnancy week by week

gigis1
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I say do it. I've never used one but I wouldn't say I never will in these cases
brightonsmom12
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting gigis1:

One like this?

gigis1
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM
That one seems fine

Quoting brightonsmom12:

Quoting gigis1:

One like this?

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Sometimes it's nice having a little extra security. It'd also be nice to have a backpack that you could put a few toys in for the flights.

brightonsmom12
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I like this one because he can still use it as a backpack without the tether on it.

Quoting gigis1:

That one seems fine

Quoting brightonsmom12:

Quoting gigis1:

One like this?

gigis1
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
And it is a pretty cute backpack

Quoting brightonsmom12:

I like this one because he can still use it as a backpack without the tether on it.

Quoting gigis1:

That one seems fine

Quoting brightonsmom12:

Quoting gigis1:

One like this?

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Just do what you feel comfortable in doing!

I did use a harness for my first son.  We haven't needed it with our second.

My first son started running by 9 months old.  Never learned to walk LOL.  But, we lived in the city, and everything is rather close to the road.  I used a harness that resemlbed a puppy and had a packpack part to it.  He loved it :).  He would put little toys into his backpack while we were on our walks :).

I didn't use it like you would use a leash on a dog.  I mainly used it as extra protection.  He wanted to do everything on his own, and it took a long time for him to get used to holding our hands.  You can't reason with a 9 month old!!!

Good luck!

sweetp113
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I got some for my kids they have cute little dinosaur s and lady bugs. My son struts his stuff wearing it singing backpack. It's better then a tantrum or chasing after them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)