Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My son is turning two this week and I get such a kick out of his speech. Today I FINALLY figured out that "da dice!" means "Not nice!" Seems so clear now I don't know why it took me so long to figure that one out. haha

What are some of your toddlers more difficult phrases to understand?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Cealleigh
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
For months now, my 19mo DS would talk about Bobby all the time. We dont know any Bobbies. So much so I was afraid DH thought I was having an affair. Until one day at daycare, he pointed to a girl the babysitter calls Baby Aubry (there's 2 Aubrys). He's combining Baby Aubry into Baubry. I get it now!
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

DD was walking around for a couple of days saying "eat a biggle" until I realized she was telling me "Easter Beagle", which is a Charlie Brown/Snoopy book she has. She has a ton of books and I had totally forgotten about that one and I guess she's been looking at it on her own lately.

CelestialSong
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh my gosh, some of what she says is impossible to understand! The hardest one to get was probably fwubs... it means strawberries xD "Syoo syoo" also took a while to get, which is cereal. I'm trying to remember what else there was... there have been many things where she would say the same sounds over and over and then one day it suddenly clicked that it meant something specific.

But it's still difficult to understand her sometimes because in between the actual words she will babble sounds, like she's trying to construct a sentence like adults do but doesn't realize that the sounds between the key words have meaning too.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Awww

My toddler doesn't speak enough to have difficult phrases to understand.  He is 2 years old and starting services next month. :)

neva_eva_always
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Nephew chased me around the house saying Coo Kah. One suggestion was cockaroach and another was coo koo or coo coi (monster) lo. Finally I heard my sister asking him if he wanted a coo kah and I'm like what the heck is that. I hadn't watched him in a while so I had no idea but usually I'm good at figuring out the baby babble.
mkm6612
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My two and half year old was watching me cook and kept asking "ni ni da". I could tell she was asking me question and told her to show me. She just stood there. I tried guessing and she never got upset but just kept saying it. I felt so bad that I didn't understand. So after about ten minutes of her patiently asking and me still guessing, I repeated what she was saying exactly how she was saying it.. She got the biggest smile on her face and said "da" (her word for yes). I thought now I am in trouble because she thinks I know what she said. Then it dawned on me...Dinner ready? That is all she wanted to know. I told her not yet and off she went to play. She has struggled with her speech her entire life yet she is finally getting to a point where the frustration is gone and she can patiently wait for me to figure it out.
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
This isn't necessarily a pronunciation issue, but the other day she pointed to her Minnie Mouse and Goofy figurines and said "Minnie! Hot Dog! " I couldn't figure out why she was saying hot dog, but then realized she was calling Goofy "hot dog" because of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song..."hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog."
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Oh, and my DD turns 2 on Friday!
SecularMomma
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My son too! LOL

Quoting Poisongirl98:

Oh, and my DD turns 2 on Friday!

WillVon
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My 18 month old dd says "bob ass" I have idea what that means!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN