Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He acts like it is burning him...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

The potty seat.  I don't know what happened this week, things were going so well, and all of a sudden it turned.  My son throws a temper tantrum everytime I sit him on it.  He is ready to potty train, he can communicate the need, and everything else, but I don't know what to do.  Please, any suggestions would be great.  I want to make sure he is out of diapers (except for sleep) before my baby is due in 3 weeks!  

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Well remember that a major component of readiness is willingness!  If your son isn't willing, he's not ready cuz you certainly can't force him :)  If he was doing well and is regressing then I would stop forcing the issue.  Let him pee on himself and make the decision himself to go to the potty.  If he doesn't make another shift in the right direction in a week or so, he probably needs a break.  Chances are you'll be facing regression when the baby gets here anyway...

Good luck!

mommyofnoah208
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Have you tried switching straight to the regular toilet? We have a toioet seat that is a double toilet seat where the top seat is a toddler size. Then get a stool. Try not to add too much pressure or stress. But just a warning he may regress when baby comes. Good luck!!
PEEK05
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Sorry Im not sure. I haven't dealt with that before but here is a bump and a good luck.

mmccrea
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I thought someone would bring up the willingness aspect of it.  Our parents potty trained us all by 18 months old, before we knew it.  I just thought I could do it the old-fashioned way I guess.  Thanks for your advice :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Well remember that a major component of readiness is willingness!  If your son isn't willing, he's not ready cuz you certainly can't force him :)  If he was doing well and is regressing then I would stop forcing the issue.  Let him pee on himself and make the decision himself to go to the potty.  If he doesn't make another shift in the right direction in a week or so, he probably needs a break.  Chances are you'll be facing regression when the baby gets here anyway...

Good luck!

mmccrea
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Thanks for your advice!  Will try that today!

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

Have you tried switching straight to the regular toilet? We have a toioet seat that is a double toilet seat where the top seat is a toddler size. Then get a stool. Try not to add too much pressure or stress. But just a warning he may regress when baby comes. Good luck!!

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

You can do it the old fashioned way. I 100% believe all kids (except medical or sn kids) can be trained between 12-18 months old. My girls trained in that time frame. My oldest it took me 1 day and no accidents she was 12 months old. and 14 months for night time. My middle was 14 months for both. I just started with my youngest, cause she couldnt walk till 16 months old, she will be 17 months in a week. She poops and pees on the potty every day.

I use a real toilet no floor potty at all. It is easy and very simple. But it takes a lot of being consitant. My kids are not the first kids I trained at this age. When I was 16 I trained my nephew by 14 months old, and I also trained my little cousin when I lived with them as a live in sitter. They are both 14 now.

Being consitant is the key. Make it fun a rewarding without stickers and other reward systems. Boasting them up with praise is the real reward and they will see it and thrive on it.

I do on the toilet every 45 minutes to 1 hour, and every 10-15 minutes after each meal and snack, and of course from drinking. I only sit them on for 3 minutes max. We read a 3 minute story when its done they are done, if they went they went if not we come back and try again 10 minutes later.

I do it at home, at the mall at someone elses house. Everyone in the house or are caregivers need to be on the same page, or it will confuse. I dont use pullups or diapers in traning at all, I do use cloth trainers on my lo right now, and cloth diapers at night. She is non-verbal so its a bit more of a challenge for us, but she has been pooping on the potty for 2 weeks now, no poops in her trainers, we are having more issues with pees, but about 3 accidents a day and thats it.

Good luck, it can be done early and the old fashioned way, dont listen to everyone else. Are you familiar with montessori learning at all? They believe the easist age to poty train is between 12-18 months of age, any time after that gets harder and harder the older a child gets.

Quoting mmccrea:

I thought someone would bring up the willingness aspect of it.  Our parents potty trained us all by 18 months old, before we knew it.  I just thought I could do it the old-fashioned way I guess.  Thanks for your advice :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Good luck!

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

put him on the big potty? my kids did that after awhile, so i put them on the big potty and voila. i had to use these little seats that go on the toiliet for my dd, but other than that, she preferred the big potty of her little seat

luvmyUSMCvet
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My daughter did this the other day too, I was shocked. She was right on with training and then one day she didnt want to do it any longer. I feel for you I really do, and I have thought about maybe she is not completely ready. I think she is she is just stubborn like her mom. Good luck to you! 

CafeMom Tickers
mmccrea
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I use the big potty w/potty seat upstairs, and potty chair downstairs.  I haven't noticed a preference to either.  Just rebellion.  :)

Quoting sahmw2010:

put him on the big potty? my kids did that after awhile, so i put them on the big potty and voila. i had to use these little seats that go on the toiliet for my dd, but other than that, she preferred the big potty of her little seat

mmccrea
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Wow!  Professional!  I might have to bring you in, lol.  (I've begged my mom to come help me, I'm desperate).  Did you have any problems with them acting out and not wanting to sit on the potty?  I've been using M&M's and lots of praise and affection for using the potty, so I don't know what else to do.  

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

You can do it the old fashioned way. I 100% believe all kids (except medical or sn kids) can be trained between 12-18 months old. My girls trained in that time frame. My oldest it took me 1 day and no accidents she was 12 months old. and 14 months for night time. My middle was 14 months for both. I just started with my youngest, cause she couldnt walk till 16 months old, she will be 17 months in a week. She poops and pees on the potty every day.

I use a real toilet no floor potty at all. It is easy and very simple. But it takes a lot of being consitant. My kids are not the first kids I trained at this age. When I was 16 I trained my nephew by 14 months old, and I also trained my little cousin when I lived with them as a live in sitter. They are both 14 now.

Being consitant is the key. Make it fun a rewarding without stickers and other reward systems. Boasting them up with praise is the real reward and they will see it and thrive on it.

I do on the toilet every 45 minutes to 1 hour, and every 10-15 minutes after each meal and snack, and of course from drinking. I only sit them on for 3 minutes max. We read a 3 minute story when its done they are done, if they went they went if not we come back and try again 10 minutes later.

I do it at home, at the mall at someone elses house. Everyone in the house or are caregivers need to be on the same page, or it will confuse. I dont use pullups or diapers in traning at all, I do use cloth trainers on my lo right now, and cloth diapers at night. She is non-verbal so its a bit more of a challenge for us, but she has been pooping on the potty for 2 weeks now, no poops in her trainers, we are having more issues with pees, but about 3 accidents a day and thats it.

Good luck, it can be done early and the old fashioned way, dont listen to everyone else. Are you familiar with montessori learning at all? They believe the easist age to poty train is between 12-18 months of age, any time after that gets harder and harder the older a child gets.

Quoting mmccrea:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)