Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Is your 18 month old like this

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son doesn't speak besides five words and all he dose is point to things when he wants it. My son follows directions real good if I ask him to do something he will do it or if ask him a simple yes or no question he will answer me.
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofnoah208
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, my daughter is 19 months and acts lioe that for sure. She doesn't have many words yet. It is so fun to watch how much they understand
MysticIceWater
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is like that to. It's normal.
kristine8333
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
When my son was 18 months he was the same. My 1st 2 children were earlier though. He still doesnt say sentences he is 2. Some kids are slower than others, doesnt mean it is not normal
PEEK05
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

The fact that he points is a good sign. :) I am sure his speech will pick up. 

MJuliet
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 22 months and he's like this, My brother nor I talked until we were 3 and are perfectly fine!

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
DD was speaking about 60+ words at 18 months, but wasn't walking independently. Kids develop different skills at different rates. It sounds like your son is understanding you, however, so it's only a matter of time until he's talking more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
DS spoke about 20 words at 18 months. Having a few words & pointing are good developmental signs
glitterrain
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter says with meaning "mama, baba, daddy, see, shoes, socks, kitty kitty," and our dogs name "zuse"  but shes trying really hard to say other words, she also says "num num" instead of food or hungry. and she also points if something is interesting or she wants it or trying to tell me something. she follows directon but not as well as i want. i think its just her being stubborn.   but she knows what alot of words mean like me, you, monkey, nap time, bed time bath time ect shes 17 months almost

conejoazul
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your son is doing well with what is called "receptive speech" ( understanding what others communicate to him ) and that he is just getting going with his "expressive speech" (communicating in a way that others around him can understand).  To me, he doesn't sound behind *yet*, but it is always a good idea to keep your pedi up-to-date in case you don't see much further progress in the months to come.  A lot of moms tell me their kids have more expressive speech than that by 18 months - my son did not - we started experimenting with pictures and REALLY slowing down our own speech when he was 18 months.  We began to model much simpler phrases and to encourage him to repeat them sound for sound. Before his second birthday, we got into the habit of trying to pick a type of phrase or question or sentence each week or so that we wanted him to hear often and practice in a focused manner for a week or two at a time.  Those changes have been working for us. Now at 3 years, he still is not ahead of any of our neighbors kids, but having had him evaluated, no red flags have come up either.  Just keep experimenting in how you and any other caregivers he spends time with present speech at home - you may find that a simple change in how you talk helps him start "talking" more.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds pretty typical for 18 months to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)