Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

im NOT their aunt, and you are not THEIR aunt

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

im sorry call me a bitch but i HATE IT when a friend goes ahead and proclaims themselves  to be your childs aunt or god mother when they clearly are not! the one person that does it to me, i could never trust with my kids, she has no kids of her own and shes too much of a partier and i dont want to upset her but this is annoying, i also have another ffriend that says im her kids aunt, her kids are terrible, throwing things at people, talking back, refusing toi listen to anything!! I CANT do that im sorry! why oh why do people do this

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IQuitCounting
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM
5 moms liked this

Pick your battles.

glitterrain
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM

im just ranting about it! that is all

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Pick your battles.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I can honestly say I have no idea, I've never claimed to be someone's aunt and nobody's ever done that to my DD but how annoying that must be for you-then you have to be the bad guy and tell them to knock it off. Seems like overstepping in a huge way.

angevil53
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Idk either and why have god parents? No one changes their will for it. Such a stupid thing

Eta: stop quoting me. I get it there's three people you know that do this.
glitterrain
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

yeah it is and the only thing i can do is keep my mouth shut,  i guess its bc normal people dont  do that idk? 

Quoting JTE11:

I can honestly say I have no idea, I've never claimed to be someone's aunt and nobody's ever done that to my DD but how annoying that must be for you-then you have to be the bad guy and tell them to knock it off. Seems like overstepping in a huge way.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Well, I don't know about normal but nobody I know has ever done that- I had actually never heard of that until I read your post. Maybe it's a location thing where you live or something but not in my area, I don't know. But still, I wouldn't want a real aunt being a bad influence, I certainly wouldn't want a self-appointed aunt being one. It probably won't help anything to say something about it though. Maybe just stick to using first names instead of aunt and maybe the kids won't pick up on it. Good luck!

Quoting glitterrain:

yeah it is and the only thing i can do is keep my mouth shut,  i guess its bc normal people dont  do that idk? 

Quoting JTE11:

Laulaulu321
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I totally get it. My younger sister who doesn't have custody of her daughter has her daughter calling her friends aunty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I know someone from church who tried to get my boys to call her Nana which is a grandma name or aunt. I just refer to her as Miss "Sue" to the boys. When my youngest was baptized, she tried to take the baby away to hold him while the congegation greeted us. Then she told the minister she had wanted to come up front and participate in the ceremony and he said she could have. I almost fell over when he said that. After that she went around telling people she was his godmother which we don't even have in our church. I think she is really lonely. I ended up going to a different service though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofnoah208
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I couldnt do it either...i know some who do though. I called people uncle ect..of dads good friends but i was young and didnt know.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM
7 moms liked this
My two bwst friends and I do this. The one really is an aunt in a way since our husbands were practically brothers from toddlers. The other are just excellent close friends. We've been each others family for years. I helpwd raise those babies. I staued up all night when the first was getting her first tooth, I've sat in the hospital while the other had staph infection. If I still lived closer thwy would be just as active in my son's lifw. Growing up my parents had friends who I called aunt and uncle. Just the one friends but we traveled from md to ny to do thankssgivings and easters together. Theu were family. I guess for us it was a recognition that those people had a familial status even though they weren't traditional family. But I would have a problem with a random friend doing this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN