Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need to break this..

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

My lilttle boy is almost 3. He does not want to sleep in his bed. He has been co sleeping since he was born. He cries everytime I try to put him in his own bed. Any tips?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Go together and buy his bed /bedding if you.don't have it. Set a date in.a months time and every night say on (whatever date you pick) you are going to start sleeping in your on bed. Maybe buy a special night light or sleep toy.

And on that first night. Just be consistent and bring him back to bed don't give in, no matter how long it takes him to.fall asleep, keep.at it and by the end of the week it should be fine.
jennibun86
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I will def. try doing that. The biggest problem is consistency, and giving in to the crying.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I can't say too much more than this!  This is what work with my LO's, but we never coslept either.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Go together and buy his bed /bedding if you.don't have it. Set a date in.a months time and every night say on (whatever date you pick) you are going to start sleeping in your on bed. Maybe buy a special night light or sleep toy.

And on that first night. Just be consistent and bring him back to bed don't give in, no matter how long it takes him to.fall asleep, keep.at it and by the end of the week it should be fine.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry not sure. We start transitioning from our bed to their own around 6 months of age so my kids were fully over at 8 months.  Here's a bump and a good luck.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe lay with him until he falls asleep? You have to keep in mind he's used to being close to you at night. This is a new and possibly scary situation for him.

mattsmate
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Maybe start with naps in his own bed as soon as you can.

Wife to Matt (7/12/09) and mommy to Samara (10/2012)

big smile mini

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Op I wouldnt do this at all. My friend thought it would help her dd transition to her own bed, she started at 3 or 4 yrs old, her dd is 8 and she still has to lay in her dds bed every night for her to go to sleep. And my niece and nephew were the same till 6 and 7 yrs old.

I mean not all kids are the same, but it seems like it takes away one issue to creat another issue...kwim?

Quoting cabrandy03:

Maybe lay with him until he falls asleep? You have to keep in mind he's used to being close to you at night. This is a new and possibly scary situation for him.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Just because this didn't work for a few people you know doesn't mean it wont work for this situation.  There may have been other factors contributing to why those particular children had trouble sleeping on their own.  And in all reality some kids are ready to sleep alone at night earlier then others.  There's nothing wrong with a young child needing some comfort at night.  Biologically speaking we're wired to wake several times a night and children were designed to sleep near their parents until a much later age then we typically feel is acceptable in today's society.  So what if a 5 year old still likes some cuddle time while he falls asleep?  I fail to see that as a problem, it's just the way some kids are.  Like I said before, this child has slept close to OP his entire life, it's all he knows.  You can't just expect him to be comfortable being expected to suddenly fall asleep on his own.  He's scared, it's a new situation for him and it's important for him to know mommy still cares about his feelings.  Falling asleep alone is something that should be worked toward slowly and gently.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Op I wouldnt do this at all. My friend thought it would help her dd transition to her own bed, she started at 3 or 4 yrs old, her dd is 8 and she still has to lay in her dds bed every night for her to go to sleep. And my niece and nephew were the same till 6 and 7 yrs old.

I mean not all kids are the same, but it seems like it takes away one issue to creat another issue...kwim?

Quoting cabrandy03:

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

MMM it seems to you failed to read all what I wrote, considering that I said, all kids are different.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Just because this didn't work for a few people you know doesn't mean it wont work for this situation.  There may have been other factors contributing to why those particular children had trouble sleeping on their own.  And in all reality some kids are ready to sleep alone at night earlier then others.  There's nothing wrong with a young child needing some comfort at night.  Biologically speaking we're wired to wake several times a night and children were designed to sleep near their parents until a much later age then we typically feel is acceptable in today's society.  So what if a 5 year old still likes some cuddle time while he falls asleep?  I fail to see that as a problem, it's just the way some kids are.  Like I said before, this child has slept close to OP his entire life, it's all he knows.  You can't just expect him to be comfortable being expected to suddenly fall asleep on his own.  He's scared, it's a new situation for him and it's important for him to know mommy still cares about his feelings.  Falling asleep alone is something that should be worked toward slowly and gently.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Quoting cabrandy03:

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No I read what you wrote. Even knowing several kids is only a tiny tiny group compared to the big picture.  It's anecdotal evidence at best.  Forcing a child to sleep on their own when he/she isn't ready and forcing him or her to cry themselves to sleep can ruin a childs trust in his or her parents.  It makes them feel no one cares about his/her needs and that's very sad.  Research shows forcing children to cry themselves to sleep alone causes them to grow up to be less independent then children who aren't forced to do this. 

OP: what I would do is start out by laying down with your son until he falls asleep.  In a few weeks when he's more comfortable in his bed in his own room have him lay down alone but stay in the room until he's asleep.  Once he's comfortable with that then you can try leaving him in there awake to fall asleep on his own.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

MMM it seems to you failed to read all what I wrote, considering that I said, all kids are different.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Quoting cabrandy03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)