Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Won't sleep

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have a 3 year old that will not sleep without being held. We are the ones to blame but now that I have a baby on the way in 6 weeks I can't keep on doing this. The current routine is a bath at 8:30 or 9 then he gets a cup of juice (which is also probably bad) and he will sit with me on my lap in the living room until he falls asleep which can be from 9:15 to upwards of 11:00. I know that once I change this routine it's going to be world war 3, I need to be the one to make this happen cause his dad works for 24 shifts and is gone every third day. Please help if you can.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovinmy3girlies
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM
He's 3, he'll be able to understand if you explain he needs to sleep in his own bed at night because the baby is coming. Let him sit with you for a few minutes reading him a story then bed time. It's going to be hard at first but really you just have to do it and stick with it!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

definitely stop the juice, first of all.  leaving that sitting on his teeth all night is terrible and you'll end up paying TONS of $$$$ in dental bills if he gets cavities (not to mention possibly affecting his permanent teeth).  if he needs something, water only after brushing teeth.

for the sleep, i love watching Supernanny and she has this great sleep separation technique that i would try if i had to.  you could probably google it and see youtube clips or watch reruns if you have cable.  you are probably going to be REALLY tired for a few days but if you stay consistent, he'll figure it out quicker than you think.  if you give in once you are setting yourself way back and will erase any progress you made.

congrats on your upcoming arrival!

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I'd cut the juice, maybe start by giving him less and make sure it's before you brush his teeth.   I would definitely get him off the lap.   Try the Supernanny sleep techniques as well. It will be tough, but if you stick with it, it should work. Good luck!

Momof2-87
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I just have to get in the mind set of getting it done and do it and stick with it. I'm already tired from being pregnant so that's not my concern really, I know kids like routines and this has been his forever and his world is about to change. We actually bought books for bedtime and were planning on doing this long before I got pregnant. We just never started it cause it was just easier to have him sit in our lap and know that he will fall asleep then to deal with him getting out of his bed several times before he wears himself out possibly 2 hours later. I guess it's now or never otherwise I'm going to have a mess on my hands in a month.
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:13 AM

i agree with stopping the juice. i'm sure the sugar isn't helping him calm down any. and if you wanted to try to transition slowly, you could sit with him in his room instead of the living room. then a couple nights later put him in the bed after cudding for a few mintues. and work your way up to putting him to bed, saying good night and him being able to fall asleep.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would gradually wean him off of your lap.  

And let WW3 happen.  You know why he's fussing.  Once he realizes that you can't hold him at night anymore, he will stop :).  Give him things to sooth himself with, like a blanket and a teddy or something :).

Good luck!

Momof2-87
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Thanks every one. I'm in the process of getting his books in his room so we can read in there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)