Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dance lessons at age 4. Good or skip?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

I danced in high school.  I loved it.  It was fun, built my confidence and was great exercise.  I was considering putting my 4-year old in a dance class but I'm just not sure....

It seems like many of the dance mothers are very much like toddlers and tieras moms.  KWIM? I also feel like dance is so much more serious than when I was a kid.  Also I'm in a rural area and all the dance classes seem to be lead by women trying to relive their youth.  It's just an annoying demographic.  But my kid would probably enjoy it. 

Did you put your kid in dance and how did it go?   

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle07
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM
My daughter has been in dance she was 2. She is 4 (will be 5 in Oct.) She loves loves loves it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navyjen
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I am for sure not a toddler and tierra mom and my 4 year old loves her dance class.  I go to a small local dance school and she loves it.  She has been doing it since 2.5.  

Alison_C
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I just put my 4 yr old in dance and she loves it. I don't plan on pushing her, if she decides she doesn't want to dance anymore, then I won't sign her up for the next class.

I think your kiddo will be fine, just find a teacher you like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Depends on the price and the commitment.  If its something that you can do for a while and quit if your child doesn't like it, go for it.  But if its a start of a hgue career, I'd hold off.  You just don't know what your children will be interesetd in!

Good luck :)

2Gs
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I feel like the people who put their kids in this and the instructors expect that it's the start of a huge career.  I do not expect that my kid will dance professionally.  Only for fun/exercise.

Quoting corrinacs:

Depends on the price and the commitment.  If its something that you can do for a while and quit if your child doesn't like it, go for it.  But if its a start of a hgue career, I'd hold off.  You just don't know what your children will be interesetd in!

rHOPEb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Loves it!!! It all depends on the studio you put her in. If they are huge on competitions then it won't be fun. My daughter did gymnastics from 14months til 3yr then at 3yr she chose ballet. She's now almost 5yr. I think it's great for listening n coordination. :)
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I don't have girls but I put my sister in ballet class at 3 she liked it for a while.

I would ask if you and your daughter can sit in on a class get a feel for everyone involved and go from there.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM

DD is 17 months, she starts next month in dance, and swim and gym, so excited. Well sh ha already been doing swim and gym though. And then in September she starts in the 19 month and up group of tots gymnastics, cant wait. My other girls did dance, soccer and bowling and swimming way before the age of 4 and love it all.

corrinacs
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know.  I signed up my son for Tae Kwon Do.  It was for one year, and I didn't realize that he would love it so much.  He has expressed multiple times that he wants his black belt....so off we are to do that.

But beyond that, I woudln't have signed him up if the only end result was be here for a long time to get his black belt.  That's not something I could ask a 5yo to make a decision on.

Quoting 2Gs:

I feel like the people who put their kids in this and the instructors expect that it's the start of a huge career.  I do not expect that my kid will dance professionally.  Only for fun/exercise.

Quoting corrinacs:

IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Your attitude and treatment of the situation is what will make it or break if for your child.  If you can ignore the silly dance mom's or teacher living vicariously through her students, go for it.  Dance can be a great way to help your daughter become more sure of her movements, more in control, so on the motor development scale it's a bonus.  As long as you treat it as fun, so will she.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)