Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I Have To??

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

Do you really need to "baby/toddler proof"?

I ask because as a mother of three, DS14 DD9 DD1yr, I have never baby proofed or toddler proofed my house. Now before y'all start the bashing, hear me out. I have always been a very attentive mother and I just watch my kids. During these curious stages, I always have them with me, my husband, family what have you, and we just keep them out of trouble. If my youngest starts crawling towards the stairs, we redirect her and move on. If she is in the bathroom while I'm getting ready to go somewhere I make sure she doesn't play in the toilet and keep her out of cabinets. There is NEVER a time when, when they are awake, someone isn't watching the little ones. I wouldn't call myself or family helicopter people we have always just kept a close eye on our kids. It find it interesting that we "need" all these safety devices, but by keeping a close eye on my little ones they have all learned to stay out of things that aren't theirs to play in and we've never had any problems. 

So tell me what you think! Play nice ladies :) 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
If it works for you, great!

I don't have my eyes on my kids 24/7 so we did moderate proofing when they were little. Gate on the stairs, knob covers on rooms we don't want them in...or out of and that was about it. Our current house came with magnetic cabinet locks in the kitchen that we used cuz we had them. My kids have never been too mischievous thankfully. The "worst" it ever got was my son climbing on our bar stools and dumping a ton of dish soap on my counter. Pain in the ass to clean up but no big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I think you already know the answer based on your expereince.  I personally only did the min, things like making sure chemicals where locked away and knifes not in arms reach.  Other than that, we simply taught our son what he was allowed to and not allowed to touch.  Made going into other peoples home so much easier.  It did, however make it more difficult having friends kids over because they weren't taught the same way so I'd either have to rush to move stuff up, or deal with the consequences... so yeah.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
The only baby proofing we did was blocking off staircases. She was never one of those babies that repeatedly touched things. After the first or second time of us redirecting her and explaining that something is danger or not for he, she moved on lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We baby proof and I watch my kids all the time. My boys are 6 and 3. We mainly do it for my youngest though.   We have gates for the stairs, locks on some cabinets, 2 locks on doors and windows. I say do whatever works for you and your family.

Candie1015
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Our grandmothers did it without baby proofing while doing clothes and dishes by hand, cooking 3+ meals a day, and cleaning I general like scrubbing the floors by hand and yet we are still here. I say if it works for you great, if your busy and can't watch them a lot atleast do the minimum. Honestly I think that by keeping things looked it makes them more curiouse opposed to keeping it open and just teaching them th no goes and oks actually teaches them instead of locking them out
hockey21
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

We  have the usual 'gate' at tops of stairs, cover's on sockets, medicine cabinet's tighly closed etc....if my daughter has wandering eyes we let her see  the socket, stairs, etc  tell her that is 'bad' without  a scare, she saw a match and knew it was 'bad-bad'...I think you are being safe and smart

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I only use a baby gate. And the socket things beside my 17.5 months old bed. Other then that nope.

I wouldn't use a gate at all if I wasn't a smoker and went out throughout the day. I can leave her in the house and not worry.
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I did a lot of baby proofing stuff with my oldest. of course he had that all figured out by 14 months. so when my daughter came around, I decided not to do any of it. only thing I DID was make my son keep his small toys in his room and his door closed.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I didn't really baby proof. Just covered up outlets and put anything that could pose an hazard out of reach.

othermom
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I prefer to. It makes it easier

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)