Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 3yr old son doesn't want to ditch the pullups. hell use the potty only if and when we suggest its potty break time, but he will not go voluntarily. he hates it. he says he doesn't want to, that he wants to play or whatever it is he wants to do at the time. and I have tried every single thing that I have heard to do. my daughter just all of the sudden got it over night, didn't even need any encouragements or 'training' I know that he should be on board with at least wanting to, and he isn't allowed into a head start unless hes completely pull up free. I just don't know what to do since everyone I know says that I must not be doing it right and that I have to force him etc. but im just not going to punish him for it. I think that's a little much, its getting old though..

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

have you tried just getting rid of the pull ups? I know you said he doesn't want to, but if he is able to use the bathroom no problem, just doesn't always want to, I would just stop putting them on him and give him no other option.

amonkeymom
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Hi,

Since he knows how to use the potty and is just being stubborn, I'd take him and let him pick out a pack of new big boy undies and let him know that as soon as the current package of pull-ups is out, that it's time to be a big boy and wear the big boy pants. 

Quoting bugnchunk:

My 3yr old son doesn't want to ditch the pullups. hell use the potty only if and when we suggest its potty break time, but he will not go voluntarily. he hates it. he says he doesn't want to, that he wants to play or whatever it is he wants to do at the time. and I have tried every single thing that I have heard to do. my daughter just all of the sudden got it over night, didn't even need any encouragements or 'training' I know that he should be on board with at least wanting to, and he isn't allowed into a head start unless hes completely pull up free. I just don't know what to do since everyone I know says that I must not be doing it right and that I have to force him etc. but im just not going to punish him for it. I think that's a little much, its getting old though..

PEEK05
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I don't think it's something you can force, but I would definitely keep encouraging it.  What would happen if you completely got rid of them, like not a single one in the house?

bugnchunk
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

thanx everyone, have done these and just have to shampoo carpet 4 times a day, but i havent done that in a few weeks so its time to try again. so frustrating, hed rather pee on hisself than voluntarily use his or the big potty. ive got to get him into head start so i can work. :(

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

have you tried just plain underwear so he actually has to clean up his mess if he refuses to go?

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM
sorry, didn't read it all to start with...We only have hard floors here, so they kids could go anywhere and it not stink up my carpet...but with my oldest we had carpet in all but the kitchen and bathrooms...she couldn't go play in her room or the den for a week because she wouldn't go to the bathroom...I just gated her into the kitchen and she decided she wanted to go play with her stuff...and I made HER clean up her messes, not me. I had to bribe her after a UTI with a hamster at 3.5 to retrain.
Quoting bugnchunk:

thanx everyone, have done these and just have to shampoo carpet 4 times a day, but i havent done that in a few weeks so its time to try again. so frustrating, hed rather pee on hisself than voluntarily use his or the big potty. ive got to get him into head start so i can work. :(

BrittSam2011
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

My son flat out told me he was only going to wear his pull-up. So I took them all away and put him in underwear. He had a bunch of accidents and then decided he didn't like peeing all over himself. He used the potty from there on out.

We still use pull-ups but ONLY during naps and bedtime.

bugnchunk
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM
how long did it take for him to start using it? weve done no pull ups underwear only for a week straight and after the cabin fever and constant puddles I couldn't take it anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)