Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you stop throwing toys and hitting?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

My 2 year old has recently started these two things and I need suggestions!!!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

bump

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM
If something gets thrown, its gone immediately and a stern "we do not throw things" and walk away.

A hit gets the same stern warning and if you get hit again, timeout. Try to catch the hit before it lands and explain "we don't hit mommy, we use gentle touches" and walk away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poosey08
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Thanks, I have been doing that with hitting. I will take toys when he throws them. Hopefully he gets the hang of it soon!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

If something gets thrown, its gone immediately and a stern "we do not throw things" and walk away.

A hit gets the same stern warning and if you get hit again, timeout. Try to catch the hit before it lands and explain "we don't hit mommy, we use gentle touches" and walk away.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
This is what I do for my 17 month old. It only took.a few days and she stopped completely. She used to throw food at meals too. I took her from the table every time and told her no. And she can't eat with.us till.she stopped, she got the point in a few days and stopped that too.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

poosey08
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Thanks so much! I hope it works fast. I've been getting hit with toys for a week and it really hurts!!! lol

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

This is what I do for my 17 month old. It only took.a few days and she stopped completely. She used to throw food at meals too. I took her from the table every time and told her no. And she can't eat with.us till.she stopped, she got the point in a few days and stopped that too.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM
DS gets a timeout for either infraction, and throwing things gets the thing taken away.
poosey08
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

He just turned 2, do timeouts really work at this age?

Quoting jean_marie1987:

DS gets a timeout for either infraction, and throwing things gets the thing taken away.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Eventually. You have to be consistent. He'll learn.

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

mellienium
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

my son will be 2 in August.  When he acts out, I give him a warning. Then if he doesn't listen after that warning, I say "time out" and just simply take him away from what is making him act out.  So if it's a toy or food or what have you, he gets taken away from it.

so it's not your traditional time out that you would give a 5 year old, but it does put him in a different setting so that he can calm down.

Quoting poosey08:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Bhayes1113
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

My son will be two in Aug. and he gets timeouts for these actions and a few other things. Timeouts can work at this age. He has certain spots that I make him sit in timeout in, and now if he gets a timeout I can point and tell him to go sit in timeout and he does. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)