Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Family financial problems

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 25 Replies

Hi im new here And need advice. This is kind of a long story, last year, when df and I were choosing which pre-k to send dd to his grandmother would not shut her mouth about the fact that she had to go to this one particular private school. She was very VERY pushy about it. She told us that since she was paying for her other great granddaughter, she wants to pay for dd. although we appreciated her offer, we denied several times because we knew we wouldn't be able to pay the subsequent years. Well she did her research (as was I) and showed us the proof that this school is far better than the public schools is our district. She then spoke with us again and told us that she would pay for dd to go to school until 8th grade at this private school. Don't worry about it, she said... So this year rolls around and we reregistered her together. Df and I payed the fees, we pay everything other than the tuition. So she was all set to pay she said she just needed the paperwork, which we gave to her as soon as we received it. She then, after dd was registered said that she was only going to pay for half... That fine we can stretch half. Then df got a notice from work that they sold the company and everyone is getting let go. So he's job hunting, we can still barely manage half, and she tells him over a voice mail that she won't be paying for any of it... Our options now as far as putting her in another school are shot... Even if we pull her, we are still financially responsible for the tuition. So as far as I'm concerned I do not wish to see this lady ever again... It's not about the money really, it's the fact that she promised us this... No she promised dd this and if she hadnt been so pushy from the start dd would have started last year in a different school. Would you be pissed? Do you think I have a reason to be!?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathy489
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yes, you have every reason to be pissed. There is always someone in every family who has to try to run the show. It makes them feel important, I guess. Avoid her like the plague, and pay no attention to her in the future. Good luck tryng to get back on track.

Mom2Vannah
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I would never take advice from her again nor let her push you into making desicions for your family. You are the only one that knows your financial status and what you can afford. I'm sorry this happen and hope that you guys are able to get back to good and DF finds a great job.

littlecolton07
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
You absolutely have every right to be pissed. I would completely avoid her and when she asks why, make sure she knows its because she screwed your family over and that is not ok!
Crystaa
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I agree you have every right to be pissed! All parents want the best for their kids but you cant always afford that and you trusted her when she promised to pay full or half of it.
steffiecox
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
You have every right to be pissed I know I would be. I would give her a piece of my mind then never speak to her again.
steffiecox
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
You have every right to be pissed I know I would be. I would give her a piece of my mind then never speak to her again.
Derari
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Why did she change her mind?? What a nutter. How does she go from paying all, to half, to none.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Why would you have to pay the tuition for a child that isn't going to be going there? That doesn't make any sense? Look for a charter school if you have any around. They are public, but teach back to basics things. Much better than regular public school, IMO. And they're FREE! lol
Jf1122
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I wish I knew! If she were having troubles or just wasn't able to that would be fine! I would totally understand, but she was really just like yea, I'm not paying... 

Jf1122
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I don't understand how the system works fully, because every other year she paid for dds cousin she paid in full when they reregistered. When she told us she would do half, we signed up for a tuition program so we can make the monthly payments and its a contract that says that once the first payment is taken out (which is almost immediately) we are responsible to pay the full balance. Last year another mother wanted to pull her son and she was blowing up Facebook about how even though he's out, she still had to pay. I don't think there are any charter schools in my town, maybe the next town over but that's out of the district. And as far as our town goes, no preschool is free because it is not mandatory. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN