Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: How do you handle a smart mouth on a 4...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:05 AM
  • 21 Replies

How do you handle a smart mouth on a 4 year old? Her tone of voice/attitude is reminiscent of a 14 year old middle schooler instead of a pre-schooler!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunshine257
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:11 AM
My son is acting like that towards me lately. It is because his grand father was here for three weeks spoiling the crap out of him. I still need to address it. I will just be putting him in time out and taking toys away. At this moment that is what works. He is on vacation with daddy and in laws right now. If he is still acting like that when he gets back I will be addressing it.
maggie268
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My son who is 5 is starting to act this way too (I think they like to test their limits).  Every time he does or says something give him "the look" and make it a point to tell him that it is not allowed.  I too, have been putting him in time out or take toys away until his attitude changes and it seems to be working.   

PEEK05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I'm not sure.  I haven't dealt with that yet but here is a bump and good luck.

livindeadgirl
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I feel your pain. My 4 year old has been doing that since he was 2. He has recently been getting better. I just pick my battles with it otherwise he would be sitting in time out all day long lol 

Mrs.C22
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My son who just turned 6 is doing it too. What I tell him is that it is not an appropriate way to talk to people, give him another way to say what he is saying and 1 warning if he does it again he will nr on yime out or restrictions.

Indiemom880
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't really dealt with this myself, but one thing i've noticed among my friends who have this issue with their children is that most of them model these behaviors themselves. That's how they speak to their husbands, their own parents, their friends, even their kids. Maybe she's learning these things from you or maybe somewhere else, but make sure she's not getting it from you! :-)

sahmw2010
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Yea im gonna be mean and yall dont have to agree with me, but my kids talk to me with respect. I have "popped" their mouth for back talking attitudes. Not hard, i dont want to hurt them but time outs, grouding whatever, didnt work. Popped mouth once and never had major issue again. Sure it cones out on occasion and i look at them and they appologize and do as they are told.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Please don't hit your kid, no matter what "advice" you get here.

Look at him, with a very confused expression, and say "I'm sorry - I can't understand it when you talk like that; can you try again?". Seriously pretend like you can't understand a word he's saying when he whines or backtalks. Whether this makes him laugh, or upsets him, the effect will be the same and the desired effect - he'll either walk away (and stops backtalking), or he laughs (and stops backtalking), or he gets upset (and stops backtalking!).

If he decides it's hilarious and follows you around while continuing to backtalk or whine, after a minute shrug your shoulders, sigh loudly, and say "well, I'm going in the other room by myself, since I can't understand what you need to say, when you're talking normally again, I'd love the company!".

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

michellej428
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Same with my 5yo...I do the same things, usually the look is enough but when its not we do time out and I make sure to explain to him why that behavior is unacceptable. I find that the talking and explaining things to him really does help better then when I would just yell and sen him off to time out lol

Quoting maggie268:

My son who is 5 is starting to act this way too (I think they like to test their limits).  Every time he does or says something give him "the look" and make it a point to tell him that it is not allowed.  I too, have been putting him in time out or take toys away until his attitude changes and it seems to be working.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mellienium
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM

my ss used to have smart mouth around that age (he's 6 now).  i think they just really like to test their boundaries and see how far they can get.  I found that it helped if he didn't get a big reaction and that we explained to him how to properly convey his feelings towards something.  So you'll hear us say "I didn't like the way you said that because it shows poor manners.  Next time try .... ". If he said it again in that tone or manner (which usually he doesn't), then we ignore whatever he says until he can say it the correct way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)