• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son holds too much value toward toys!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 17 Replies

He was up on and off ALL night crying over a hotwheels car that he's misplaced. He wouldn't even tell us what was wrong until this morning and we had so much trouble getting him to go back to sleep. He crys over toys almost everyday. Toys he doesn't have,toys he can't find.  Things he had two minutes before asking where they're at. He doesn't want to try to find things himself. I tell him to look the last place he played with it. The toy is usually in plain view ,but he'll cry and say he can't do it,that I need to find it. I don't do it for him, I make him look, but this is an everyday occurance and it's honestly driving crazy. I don't know how to fix it. He seems to  care about his toys more than anything else.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThreeReasons123
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
How old is he?
PEEK05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

If he truly can't find it, maybe you should help him find it.  I think you are being too hard on him.  I have never been good at finding things.  I am 25 years old and still sometimes have to call my mom to ask if she can come help me find something after looking for a couple of hours.  She lives just around the corner and can find it in like 10 minutes! I am always embarrassed, but I just can't ever find ANYTHING if I misplace it lol.  Thankfully it doesn't happen often.  I am the kid that cried on Easter every single year because I could only find like, two eggs while everyone has baskets full of them.  I wouldn't tolerate the whining and crying, but I would help him fix the situation if he tries to find them and can't.

SpiralRoot
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM

He's 3 1/2

SpiralRoot
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

It's not that I won't help him at all. I want him to try on his own first. He doesn't look for things at all. Most of the time it's sitting less than two feet away from him. Maybe I elaborated too much on that. My real problem is how he's always begging for something new or freaking out over toys. Keeping us up all night because he can't remember if he put a car away or not. I would have gotten up, found it and showed him where it was to reassure him if only he would have told me what was wrong. Idk maybe I am overreacting. I just don't have the patience for it.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't have the patience for that either. My only thought is maybe if that's his personality, he may be too overwhelmed with all his toys to keep track of. Maybe have him pick a basket of toys to keep inside and pack up the rest for a while. Swap them out occassionally but just keep the number small and see if that lessens his anxiety. Personally I think its more about anxiety than the toys themselves...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I rotate toys.  I put some away and bring them out a few weeks later. Maybe limiting the amount of toys will help him keep track of them. The quantitiy might just be overwhelming.  If he shows this kind of frustration over other things, you may want to keep an eye on it. 

mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I agree with above, maybe rotate and limit toys he has at a time.
tiarra7022
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I would limit the amount of toys. My kids have all gone through things like this but after awhile they calmed down about it.

SpiralRoot
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Thank you all so so much. Tha t is a great suggestion and I think it definitely makes sense. We're living with my moher-in-law right now and she alrady had toys here before we got here,so really there are waaay too many and there's not a whole lot of space for storeage. But I will definitely being making room for some.lol.

iansmommy9
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We go through the same thing. I've made a point of getting bins and baskets for his toys to keep them organized. When he's fussed about not being able to find something, I remind him that if he doesn't put it away after playing with it, we might lose it (or the dog is bad about stealing his toys and chewing them up).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)