Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

17 months, how many naps?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 11 Replies
My 17 mo DS has been all messed up on his naps for about a week. His morning one is decent but the afternoon one is a struggle ever since about a week ago he fell asleep at 630pm.

By the time I get him to close his eyes it's 5pm when he wakes and in turn is a nightmare at bedtime (I'm talking 10 o'clock he's still wanting to party in his bed!). By 830 I'm ready to slip into a coma so this is not working for me.

Last night I skipped afternoon nap and just had him "rest" for n hour, mainly so I could make dinner and stop pulling my hair out lol. After dinner we played outside for an hour till 645 then a long bath then he had a bottle, was tired but not enough apparently. My daughter chased him around the house for a half hour, by 830 I read him books, he still didnt actually fall asleep till after 930.

I'm seriously going to go insane. His bedtime is the only time I have to myself, from 830a to 530p I have FIVE kids giving me a migraine I need some downtime. (3 are mine, 2 are my sisters I watch). Kids are 14 13 12 10 and 17mo luckily not all babies but might as well be, it's loud and cluttered always, wahhhh. Ok I'm done whining, what's your thoughts on dropping the afternoon nap? Idk how much more I can take of this 3 hour bedtime ritual.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM

My oldest took naps until close to 2, but she was adopted from China and still adapting to us and the new routine. I'd say around 2 months shy of 2, she ditched all naps. My youngest ditched all naps by the time she was 15 months old. My girls are 5 ( next weekend) and almost 8. 

Some kids do better without an afternoon nap. I know it's tough for moms to give up that time, but it does make bedtime easier as they are worn out at that point. I hope you are able to come up with something that helps your sanity asap.. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I'm not sure what to say. DD was only taking an afternoon nap by that age. Could you delay his morning nap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I would skip the morning nap.

Megan11587
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My son wakes up about 5:00am every morning. He naps around 9-10am.  When he is with my mom during the day (mon-fri) he usually skips the afternoon nap, and is ready for bed around 7.  On the weekends, I usually get him to take a nap around 1:30-2 and he goes to bed around 8-8:30.

akm378mn
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

He's probably just in the nap transition stage... I think around that time my ds had a crazy nap schedule... He's a little over 2 right now and usually takes a 2 hour nap in the afternoon... 12-2. 

I agree with others to drop it down to one nap, but maybe gradually move the morning nap later each day? 

My ds doesn't go to bed until 9:00.  I wish it was earlier.  At least 8:30 b/c I'm ready for bed by 9.  Basically, I don't get "down" time once he goes to bed b/c I go to sleep around then too.  He used to go to bed at 8:00, which was perfect, but after daylight savings this spring, he never adjusted.  His body clock stayed the same and he kept going to bed when his body thought it was time. 

Honestly, I don't think it helps to put them to bed before they are ready... just makes it more stressful in my opinion. 

Megan11587
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I will add, that when he skips his afternoon nap, he is extremely cranky from about 5:30 on.  That is why I have him nap on the weekends.  I just can't get my mom to do it because you pretty much have to force him to nap in the afternoon.  I'll hold him tight while he kicks and screams until he falls asleep. To me, that struggle is worth it.

Quoting Megan11587:

My son wakes up about 5:00am every morning. He naps around 9-10am.  When he is with my mom during the day (mon-fri) he usually skips the afternoon nap, and is ready for bed around 7.  On the weekends, I usually get him to take a nap around 1:30-2 and he goes to bed around 8-8:30.

furbabymum
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Mine just took 1, 2 hour nap in the afternoons when he hit 1.

Kellileanne
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

DD2 is turning 1yr old tomorrow and most days she will take a short nap then a 1 1/2-2hr nap.  She will very soon be transitioning to just an afternoon nap.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

DD is about the same age and only takes one nap a day for about 2 hours.

Shama10
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Being a mom of 8 children, I can understand where you are coming from. Certain seasons present different challenges, but sleep to me trumps them all. Feeling drained like you are doesn't give you the luxury of thinking clearly. So, my hat is off to your for sharing your situation here. It might be helpful to experiment with naptimes by trying to drop the morning nap and maybe getting your son to bed earlier in the afternoon so it's not so close to his bedtime, Then he can have some rest and you can have some down time (if that is possible with 4 older children in the house.) confusedEither way, it seems like he might be ready to drop one of his two naps, you'll just have to take a good look at your day and see which nap time works best for you and for him.

Hang in there. I know this seems like it will never end, but thankfully it will. Whatever you decide to try, just know I'll be praying for you.

{{HUGS}}

Shama

P.S. You are not whining. You are exhausted and you did the right thing reaching out for help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)