Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 2 Replies
I have a 4 almost 5 year old boy. He still poops his pants, we have tried everything so I guess this too will pass.

My problem is it does not matter how often I wash his clothes he still refuses, screams and cries and throws tantrums (which he does not get away with) when I make him put on clean clothes or take a shower to clean the poop off. He showers well otherwise so he is not afraid of the shower.

I have explained over and over if he does not stop pooping on himself, wearing poppy clothes and take a shower he will get sick. I am beyond done punishing him for pooping on himself. He just has to clean up himself and his pants.

Any ideas on correcting this? Other than this one thing he is smart and happy so I don't know what else to do.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM
My ods hated showers too until I gave him rewards for showering.

Does he get to choose his own clothing or do you pick them out for him? That may help him feel like he's more involved.

When he does poop his pants, don't show any emotion even if he has done if for the fourth or fifth time in a row. He may be doing that to get more attention. Also, make sure he isn't constipated as sometimes being impacted makes poop come out goey like around the impaction and kids can't hold it in.
debramommyof4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I will try rewarding him for showering.  Maybe it will help.  All my children, his younger sister (just turned 3) pick out thier own clothes unless we are going somewhere really fancy.

I have a hard time not showing emotion because I know he knows.  He says he does not know when he poops but he has too because he tells me and goes sometimes.  He doesnt have an impaction and is not constipated.  I am going to ask his doctor yet again, because they never seem concerned, but we are getting a new one.  I try really hard not to get onto him for it so it is just " P.... go shower and get cleaned up.  Dont forget to clean out your pants so I can wash them."  Then he refuses to move and starts screaming and crying and refusing to go.  I dont know what to do with him anymore.

Quoting Junebaby18:

My ods hated showers too until I gave him rewards for showering.

Does he get to choose his own clothing or do you pick them out for him? That may help him feel like he's more involved.

When he does poop his pants, don't show any emotion even if he has done if for the fourth or fifth time in a row. He may be doing that to get more attention. Also, make sure he isn't constipated as sometimes being impacted makes poop come out goey like around the impaction and kids can't hold it in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)