• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is He ready for preschool?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello my son turned 3 today. He has a speech and fine motor delay. He cognitively is at 22 months. He will be receiving speech and occupational therapy in September. I got told by alot of people why are you even sending him to preschool if he is a year behind. I hate knowing that he has delay and possibly cant do all the activities that involve fine motor because of his essential hand tremors. I want him to get the social interaction and be in structred environment to help improve his attention. He got accepted into both Head Start as well as a pre-k counts preschool, just trying to decide which one would be the most benefical to him.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I probably would look for a playgroup rather than a preschool for social interaction if I were in the same position.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pam_8787
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I think you should send him to school. And head start is a great place to start. GL
Pam_8787
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Oh and happy birthday to your son!
legobaby
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
If you qualify for Head Start, I would send him. I'm not familiar with that other program, but Head Start is public school, which means they are required to accommodate his special needs. They will work with him on it.
Braydinmomma24
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Thank you for his birthday wish.

Quoting Pam_8787:

Oh and happy birthday to your son!

Braydinmomma24
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I am sending him to preschool.

Quoting Pam_8787:

I think you should send him to school. And head start is a great place to start. GL

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

being i know a lot about head start ...it sounds like what u r looking for!!!

Braydinmomma24
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

He qualifies for head start. He was in the early head start program.

Quoting legobaby:

If you qualify for Head Start, I would send him. I'm not familiar with that other program, but Head Start is public school, which means they are required to accommodate his special needs. They will work with him on it.

Braydinmomma24
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

He got accepted for head start. he was in early head start.

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

being i know a lot about head start ...it sounds like what u r looking for!!!

IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Preschool could be the best place for him, but I don't know the difference between HS and Pre-K counts.  Ignore the people saying don't send him... he will have a better chance of catching up if he has people working with him that are trained to assist in these matters.  He can attend Pre-K for multiple years, until he reaches the age range for kinder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)