Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tantrums! Help!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have 3 year old twin girls & the older twin has been starting to throw tantrums. Mostly when she doesn't get her own way. Screaming, sometimes throws herself to the ground. Ugh! It just started about 2 weeks ago. And it's driving me nuts!! I've spanked, time-outs, taken something away, but this girl is relentless! LOL

When she finally calms down, I have her apologize & try to explain to her, that's not the way we behave, Hug, Kiss, I love You....

Any tips, advice?.....Something different to try or how to prevent a tantrum from happening without giving in to what she wants? Thank You Ladies!!! :)

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
owl0210
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the terrible threes! The two's were nothing compared to what I'm dealing with now lol. I try to be consistent with punishments and like yourself have tried everything but I keep reminding myself that this too shall pass.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

This is normal.  She's frustrated because she can't have what she wants and this is her way of expressing her emotions.  Personally, I don't believe in punishing for tantrums.  Yes, they are unacceptable means of expressing yourself BUT she has every right to her emotions.  The last thing you want is a kid who's scared of expressing themself.  What you want to do is teach what TO DO, not make her scared of reacting how she feels.  That doesn't mean you have to sit and tolerate it though...

Instead, maybe try ignoring her until she calms down or put her in a quiet space to tantrum safely.  When she calms down, work on how to appropriately react to whatever the situation was.  Also, when she does respond well to a sitatuation praise her soooo much.

If you can anticipate something that may set her off, prepare her for whatever is about to happen.  "10 more mins and then we have to leave the park."  etc.

I should also add that I will punish for any behavior that occurs during the tantrum that is punishable (hitting someone, etc.)  I just don't punish for the tantrum itself.

LaLa310
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes I agree, I don't punish for the tantrum..I do try my best to ignore it...lol But yes, I will punish for the actions form the tantrum, sometimes she has hit me, & called me names ( she has called me a stupid brat) LOL

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

This is normal.  She's frustrated because she can't have what she wants and this is her way of expressing her emotions.  Personally, I don't believe in punishing for tantrums.  Yes, they are unacceptable means of expressing yourself BUT she has every right to her emotions.  The last thing you want is a kid who's scared of expressing themself.  What you want to do is teach what TO DO, not make her scared of reacting how she feels.  That doesn't mean you have to sit and tolerate it though...

Instead, maybe try ignoring her until she calms down or put her in a quiet space to tantrum safely.  When she calms down, work on how to appropriately react to whatever the situation was.  Also, when she does respond well to a sitatuation praise her soooo much.

If you can anticipate something that may set her off, prepare her for whatever is about to happen.  "10 more mins and then we have to leave the park."  etc.

I should also add that I will punish for any behavior that occurs during the tantrum that is punishable (hitting someone, etc.)  I just don't punish for the tantrum itself.

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Omg.... Sounds like my daughter at three. She is now seven and its not much better. Good luck.....
PEEK05
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My children haven't done that but here is a bump and good luck! Just be sure to pick a discipline tactic and stay consistent with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)