Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice for my 20mo (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 1 Replies

My youngest dd is 20 months old and I have a couple of concerns that I am looking to get some advice on.

First is her eating habits. She is incredibly picky and won't even try new things. The rare occasion I get her to try something new she either immediately spits it out or, if she does manage to swallow it, will begin gagging. She does it with food and drinks. The only thing she will drink is water and breast milk (straight from the breast, refuses it in a cup). For food, she refuses to eat any fruits or veggies in any form. She will eat some meat (usually only chicken or hamburger), she loves cheese, cereal (I try to limit this to cheerios but she has occasionally been allowed some of the other sweeter cereals like lucky charms), nutrigrain bars, toast, pb&j, mac&cheese...I think that's pretty much it. I offer her whatever we are eating at every meal. I'm usually lucky if she'll take a couple of bites unless it's one of the foods I listed above. Only drinking water, you would think that would be a good thing, but when I need her to drink something to help her out with another issue (i.e. apple juice to help if she becomes constipated) I'm out of luck and trying to find other ways to help.

The other concern is sleep. At 20 months old she should pretty much be sleeping through the night. She does not though. She will still wake at least once or twice and usually nurses from that point until we get up in the morning (this can be HOURS). To make matters worse, her sleep schedule will not stay reasonable. She fights taking a nap all day long, usually not going to sleep until 7:30pm-8:00pm. She'll treat that as a nap, wake up 2-3 hours later, then wants to play again for another 4-5 hours before she's finally ready to go to sleep for the night. I. Am. EXHAUSTED! I have a 4yo as well, work full time from home while taking care of both of my girls, take care of the house, run errands, etc. I'm not getting to sleep until anywhere between 2am and 5am pretty much every night. Lately my dh gives in and ends up taking her for a drive because that seems to be the only thing that will get her to sleep at night anymore (once she gets sleepy enough). Any other efforts we make just don't work. I have run out of ideas! A friend and my sister both recommended the kids sleepytime tea. I tried it last night but couldn't get her to drink it (I tried to allow her to drink it herself and when that didn't work I tried using a syringe to give it to her and she ended up gagging. I got about 2 small swallows into her which was pretty much useless).

I would love to finish weaning her but between the sleep issue and the food issue, I worry about taking the breastmilk away completely. I am seriously at a loss at this point. My oldest dd fought her naps at this age but slept great at night and never had the food issue so this is all new. HELP!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
xomrs.chase
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
All she really needs drink wise is water. Its great that you're still breastfeeding, though. Its a laxative and a good suppliment to her eating habits.

Sounds like a typical toddler.

Is her pedi concerned with her weight?

Try hiding things in the mac n cheese. Blend veggies to a paste and mix it with the sauce.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)