• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you use time outs?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

How often do you use time outs?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I've only used it about 5 times with my 4 year old. The threat of a time out is almost always enough to make him behave.

IQuitCounting
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I use to use them daily when my son was smaller, but now that he's almost five I hardly do.  He's old enough that time-outs (or being sent to his room) are typically more of a precursor to an actual punishment like taking away a privilege, and then only if he's acting emotional about something and needs some time to calm down.  So maybe a couple of times a month now.  I will also state that he's a really well behaved child though, and I laid some serious ground work when it came to teaching him to listen to me and not act up.  Time outs where short initially, and mostly just to give him a physical representation of my displeasure.  I would talk with him about what he'd done and why it wasn't okay as well as a way he might have done things differently.  I never just sent him with only a "bad boy!"

hockey21
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

my 2yr old doesn't really 'act up...but when she does  she knows it, I have a 'naughty chair' in my kitchen  when she is acting up  I just  give her this 'look'  and point to the chair....she goes to it, sits down for 1hr  or until she is ready to tell me she is sorry....

corrinacs
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Never.  They never worked for my first son.  He would get up and it was a lot more of a hassle than it was worth.

Leo's a pretty good boy....so far.  He's 20 months old.  He hasnt' done much that would make me want to get clsoe to putting him into timeout.

mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM
It really depends. Sometimes it is multiple times a day during rough days and others we can go weeks and weeks without one.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Depends.

I'm not much for timeouts at all. Its my last method of choice for my older girls, I started them with my 17.5 month old just in the past 2 weeks, so a few times a week. Lol. I only give her a timeout for hitting and pulling hair, its hard since she is non-verbal and uses hitting when tired and frustrated. I use redirection first, if it does not work then a small timeout.
PEEK05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Not even on a daily basis.  My kids rarely need that kind of discipline.

sophiesmom07
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

With my 2 year old, daily.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

my kids are 6 1/2 and 4 (well, 4 on Sunday) and timeouts are few and far between these days.  they tend to come in spurts like we'll have 1 really bad day where 1 or both are in timeout a few times and then we'll go weeks or months without a single one ;)

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Never
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)