Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 month old DS screaming during naps.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 4 Replies
My 20 month old DS has taken naps most of his life from about 1:30-2:00 till about 3:30-4:00 (well since we quit nursing at 10 months ago). He will go upstairs all by himself now and we sometimes rock him or we just hold him a few minutes, lay him down and pat his back for a few minutes and he goes to sleep. We do the same thing at night. Difference is at night he sleeps 11-12 hours without waking, naps he wakes up every half hour - 1 hour screaming or just crying. Sometimes we let him cry and he will go back to sleep within a few minutes other times we go up and rock or pat his back till he settles down. We try to do it random to break the cycle of waking up. He has been doing this for months. I know that when he is ready to get up, he wakes up and starts talking. We did find out that he has a gluten sensitivity in March and have been really watching what he eats so he doesn't get a stomach ache. I was hoping that when we cut out gluten he would stop waking up due to possible belly aches. Has anyone else been through this or any advice?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JoanahLee
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Are his naps right after lunch? I would assume so based on the time, unless he eats early. Try to give him a little time to process lunch between eating and going down for a nap, make sure he goes to the potty if your doing that yet (otherwise, check his diaper before naps and when he wakes up crying). Maybe try putting him to bed on a bit of an incline... if he has a toddler mattress that is super easy, just put an adult sized pillow under the head of his mattress, that way if he is having any reflux or digestive issues he will be in a better position.
kdvorak
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Thank you. He eats lunch that I provide for him at Daycare at about 11:45 and I pick him up at 12:30. We get home at about 12:45-1:00 and I have been trying to wait longer to lay him down thinking that it was a digestive issue. I have tried a snack and a drink right before nap and tried not giving him one. He is still in diapers and he usually isn't to bothered by a dirty diaper and i usually check it if he wakes up and I change him before he goes down. He is still in his crib and moves a lot so I don't think that I can incline it
Quoting JoanahLee:

Are his naps right after lunch? I would assume so based on the time, unless he eats early. Try to give him a little time to process lunch between eating and going down for a nap, make sure he goes to the potty if your doing that yet (otherwise, check his diaper before naps and when he wakes up crying). Maybe try putting him to bed on a bit of an incline... if he has a toddler mattress that is super easy, just put an adult sized pillow under the head of his mattress, that way if he is having any reflux or digestive issues he will be in a better position.

corrinacs
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Could he be getting too much sleep?  My baby is the same age and he sleeps about 11 hours at night.  But he takes maybe an hour nap during the day.  Any more than that then he's up past his bedtime.

kdvorak
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

At this point I think anything may be possible.  He still goes to bed at the same time everynight and if I do let him get up when he cries when he wakes up (instead of talking) he seems really whiney all evening till bedtime.

Quoting corrinacs:

Could he be getting too much sleep?  My baby is the same age and he sleeps about 11 hours at night.  But he takes maybe an hour nap during the day.  Any more than that then he's up past his bedtime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)