Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why doesn't my 2 year old like to eat a lot?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey. My 2 year old is hard to feed. I Try feeding him different foods,sometimes hell eat it sometimes not. And he is getting really skinny.I took him to the doctor they said it wasnt an issue but he is getting really thin.. I feel like a bad mother but i try to makes all the foods he likes..He will eat 2 meals a day sometimes 1.. sometimes none and i dont get why.. Its a concern for me but the doctor told me not to worry... he rather eat junk food then a real meal! what do i do!!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he drink a lot? My daughter varies a lot in how much she eats. sometimes she eats more than i do, sometimes barely anything. but the pedi said if she's taking in fluids its not a big deal (and she still gained like 3 lbs since her dec check up). she's definitely getting skinnier but she's growing so im not that worried

Natashaxo
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yeahh all he does is drink fluids..juice milk water ect.. but when i give him a meal like a good meal.. he dont want it but if i offer chips.. pssh hell eat it all ! 

sahmw2010
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
I make lunch/dinner and he either eats it or goes hungry. Does he eat any healthy food at all? He maybe getting skinner because he is very active and not getting the right nutrients back in. But i have no clue.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

it sounds like he's learned to refuse the good stuff and hold out for what he really wants (the crap).  get anything you don't want him eating out of the house and stop the juice.  limit his milk cuz that can be filling.  i allow my kids to pick their breakfasts and lunches (healthy well-balanced options) and i almost always make dinner for the family.  they eat or don't.  if they don't, they get nothing else.  i don't ever fuss over them eating.  i don't beg, i don't plead, i don't let them know that it bothers me at all.  if they want to go to bed hungry, so be it.  if after dinner they are still hungry, their options are fruit or veggies, period.  i know they are starving if my only option is carrot sticks and they eat them!

Natashaxo
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

i will try ! lets see :)

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Nothing to drink other than water during the day, and only a half cup of milk per meal. Keep fresh fruits and veggies around to snack on. Don't buy junk food if at all possible. Don't make special meals just for him. He eats what everyone else eats or nothing at all, unless of course he's allergic or sensitive to it.
Natashaxo
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Yeah i tried everything honestly.. NO LUCK! its ridiculous and it gets me upset because it makes ME LOOK BAD!

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Quoting Natashaxo:

Yeah i tried everything honestly.. NO LUCK! its ridiculous and it gets me upset because it makes ME LOOK BAD!

Don't give into him when he asks for junk or refuses what is made for the meal. No exceptions.
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

honestly i agree with pp about having healthy food around. i started getting dd healthy snacks so every time she goes to the fridge, i'll give her fruit. 

Quoting Natashaxo:

momofsunshine77
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of my kids would eat one day and not the next when they were 2.  They wont starve themselves.  I don't worry about my 2 year old, if she is hungry she will eat.  I do know that if she drinks something before a meal she will also eat less.  Just a thought though, it still varies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)