Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

weight issue with my 2 year old

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM
  • 90 Replies
hello mom's i posted this in another/wrong group and relized it after posting so... i have a 2 year old dd who lost 2 pounds between her 18 month well baby and her 2 year old well baby. i have taken her in for month weight check per the doctors request. the first weight check she gained 1 pound, the second she lost Half a pound, the third she gained 1 and a half pounds i think can't quite remember with all the weight checks it's hard to keep track. but at this point she has not regained the full 3 pounds she lost. i have tried to give her pedisures and she drank them for a few daya and now won't touch them. so i have swiched to nesquick and i am going to try to give her that a few times a week. i also bought ovaltine to try if all eles fails. WIC changes kids from whole milk to 2 percent at age 2 but i have recently changed her back to whole milk. because 2 percent is a little watered down and i don't think she is getting enought calleries. a few months ago she became a picky eater. until a few months ago she would eat everything but recently now there are several thing she just looks at like you want me to eat that a nope not happening. i am not sure what to do. am i getting her weighted to much? do you other moms think i am worring to much? i am not sure what to do to help my dd. any advice would be helpful
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I think you are weighing her way too often.  Is she healthy? If she has no other symptoms, she's probably just a lot more active and burned off some of that baby fat.  What does her doctor say about it?

SJG1013
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

How tall is she, and how much does she weigh?

biomom1437
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM

her doctor was the one that wanted to weight her that often.  but technically the woman is a nurse practinar not a full doctor so... but she doesn't seem to have any other health concerns.  so i think maybe at this time i will just take her back in later this winter. 

Quoting PEEK05:

I think you are weighing her way too often.  Is she healthy? If she has no other symptoms, she's probably just a lot more active and burned off some of that baby fat.  What does her doctor say about it?

PEEK05
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM

That's what I would do. I would just keep an eye on her, and if she lost anymore or started showing other symptoms of something else going in, I would totally take her back in.

Quoting biomom1437:

her doctor was the one that wanted to weight her that often.  but technically the woman is a nurse practinar not a full doctor so... but she doesn't seem to have any other health concerns.  so i think maybe at this time i will just take her back in later this winter. 

Quoting PEEK05:

biomom1437
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM

she is 2 foot 10 inches and weights 21 pounds.  i was told she is under weight for her height.  she went from the 50th pecential to the 15 percential when she lost the 3 pound that's why they were concerned

Quoting SJG1013:

How tall is she, and how much does she weigh?

victoriaherring
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:20 AM

My guess would be is that she is active.. Going from crawling around to running around.. I wouldn't be worried if she is eating healthy.. I mean if an adult went from being sedentary to running around all day they'd probably drop a few pounds too.

biomom1437
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:20 AM

yep i'll keep an eye on her thanks. 

Quoting PEEK05:

That's what I would do. I would just keep an eye on her, and if she lost anymore or started showing other symptoms of something else going in, I would totally take her back in.

Quoting biomom1437:

Quoting PEEK05:

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM
4 moms liked this

It is typical when there is such a huge drop on the % to have more frequent checks.  Dropping a few points is ok, but dropping from 50 to 15 may be cause for concern.  I would follow the doctor's advice and continue with the additional weight checks.  Then, when her weight goes back up and she is "all clear" you will know it.

Make sure she is getting full fat everything.  Cheese, milk, yogurt.  Peanut butter & other nuts are good.  These are really easy ways to add calories.  Adding Nesquick isn't a great idea---it's really just empty sugar--not sure you are to the point where you need to do that.

Don't go overboard on the drinks.  A lot of kids can/will fill-up on liquids, so they won't want to eat.  She'll get more and better calories from real food. 

I am not sure why people recommend the Pediasure.  In a lot of cases, it'll just fill a child up so that they won't eat "real" food.  That never helps the issue.

mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Is she just getting checked at the wic office or at her drs? I woukdnmake a followup appt and make sure everything is ok if she is really eating steadily
corrinacs
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey mama,

My best advice would be to keep talking to the doctors.  Have you visited a pediatric gastroenterologist?  If not, then I'd do that....even if you can't see anything wrong, obviuosly something's going on.  One of the things they should hvae you do is either fill out a food diary (you write down EVERYTHING your child eats, how much, explicitly for about 3-4 days).  That will tell you if s he's indeed getting enough calories or not.

Both of my children have weight issues, but we know its because of their food allergies.  We are working on getting them back to where they should be.  My older son is super athletic and has muscles like a muscle-man, so he doesn't bother me as much LOL.

Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN