Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Well, then. I have no idea what to do now. Last update in blue.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 57 Replies

DD is 2.5, in the past two(ish) months her bedtime has gotten later and later and now she is being put to bed at 10 p.m. and for weeks she would go in without a fuss and just sit and play for a couple of hours and then go to sleep. The past few nights, however, she goes in without a fuss but in ten minutes she is screaming at the top of her lungs, sobbing and wants out of the crib. It's 10:32 right now and she has been in there screaming at the top of her lungs for the past half hour. I went in the first time, picked her up, rocked her a little until she calmed down (and wanted to play) and then I put her back in and left. She started screaming again so I waited a little while, went back in didn't pick her up, waited until she calmed down and then left. Now she is in there screaming herself hoarse. I have no idea what this is or what to do about it. I am guessing she just doesn't want to be in there but what do I do? I can't keep going in every five minutes all night, and I am NOT going to teach her that I am going to come in when she cries and it's play time at night, which is what I think she wants. What would you do? Keep in mind that as soon as I go in within two minutes she is wanting to run around and play, so she's not upset about anything other than being in there. Thanks  in advance, mamas!

8/1 just a bit of an update...today I woke DD up at 9 (two hours before she would have gotten up by herself), and put her down for a nap at 1:30. She stayed in there until 3 and then I took her out because I didn't want her to be falling asleep then for a nap.  The rest of her day she pretty much spent literally bouncing off the walls, off the furniture, screaming, crying and getting into trouble. She also refused to eat any dinner and threw her plate at her dad.  I took her in for bedtime routine at 7 and at 7:45 I put her in the crib. I cracked the bedroom door and so far it's been quiet in there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I expect some night terrors tonight. Hoping for the best, though!  I truly appreciate everyone's input. I needed to hear that it was OK to skip a nap or wake her up early, because her pedi told us to let her sleep if she needed to sleep, whenever that was, for however long it took. Doing that worked for us for 2.5 years but then her schedule went south and I didn't really see a way around waking her and cutting out cleep here and there. So thanks to all, here's hoping for a (mostly) quiet night!

Well, she was quiet for about 15 minutes then started crying and I went in and calmed her down. This cycle went on for about an hour and a half, her calming down, then crying 15 minutes later, etc. At about  9:10 she just went into full-on scream mode like someone was killing her for about five minutes then, like a switch being turned off, stopped screaming and fell asleep instantly. It's now 10:48 and we had one night terror for about 10 minutes at 10:15 so we'll see. I don't know if anyone will even read this update, it's mainly for myself to keep track of what's going on but if you did, thank you, and I wish you a calm and peaceful night. :)

8/2 Ended up with four night terrors last night, all about 10 min each. She woke up on her own this moning at 8:30. It's 2:36 pm now and she is dead tired but refusing to nap. Fell asleep at 3, I let her sleep until 4, woke her up. She was better behaved this evening but she's been in bed now since 8:30 and it's 10:30 and she's still in there. I've been checking her every 15 minutes (this keeps her from crying) but she isn't sleeping yet.

Finally went to sleep at 11:30. Three night terrors.

8/3 Woke up screaming at 7:15 a.m.  Cried on and off all morning. Put her down for nap at 1 p.m., she cried for 30 min and then slept for a little over an hour, woke up screaming. She spent the afternoon crying on and off, throwing tantrums. Put her down for bed at 7:30, it's now 9:50 and she has been in here crying for over two hours, not sleeping. At first I was checking on her every 10 minutes while she read with a flashlight, and then she lost it totally and has been crying for the past hour while I have been sitting here in her room. She didn't want hugs or to be held or even touched, she just didn't want to go to sleep. I have no idea what to do with this kid. She finally fell asleep at 10:30 p.m. after screaming forever. Then she woke back up screaming at 1:30 a.m. and I had to go back in and sit there again. Her 2.5 year checkup is next Monday, if this is no better by then I'll bring it up to the pedi.  This two hours of crying at bedtime has to stop. Moms, any other thoughts? (Or are you all as tied of this BS as I am?) Thanks again.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No clue... My son goes to bed when he's tired, n I rock him to sleep. Hope you find someone to help!
mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I really think bedtime should be earlier, she may be in the overtired stage. Do a nice calming bedtime routine around 7, warm bath, books, put muss c on and dim lights and read with her for awhile until sh is calm and try staying with her patying back for awhile until she sleeps..at least until her sleeping gets better. Good luck. For now, i know it is hard but let her cry probably or just go lay in her room and say you will stay if sh has her eyes closed laying down.
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Thanks! Hopefully this is a phase someone else has some information about or something to help :)

Quoting britmichele:

No clue... My son goes to bed when he's tired, n I rock him to sleep. Hope you find someone to help!

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I do a 45 minute routine but I can't start early because she's getting up at 11 a.m., napping from 3-5 or 6. If I start bedtime at 7 that only gives her an hour between getting up from nap and bedtime. I have been trying to make her schedule earlier but she always reverts back to this schedule. It looks like we are stuck with the late schedule for now, because I don't know how to fix that, either.  If I am in the room, she won't even try to sleep. She just wants to play, won't even lie down. Thanks for the suggestions, though, it does reinforce what  think needs to happen I just don't know how to do it

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

I really think bedtime should be earlier, she may be in the overtired stage. Do a nice calming bedtime routine around 7, warm bath, books, put muss c on and dim lights and read with her for awhile until sh is calm and try staying with her patying back for awhile until she sleeps..at least until her sleeping gets better. Good luck. For now, i know it is hard but let her cry probably or just go lay in her room and say you will stay if sh has her eyes closed laying down.

Bluecalm
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd skip the nap and then start bedtime at 7 so you can retrain her schedule.

Quoting JTE11:

I do a 45 minute routine but I can't start early because she's getting up at 11 a.m., napping from 3-5 or 6. If I start bedtime at 7 that only gives her an hour between getting up from nap and bedtime. I have been trying to make her schedule earlier but she always reverts back to this schedule. It looks like we are stuck with the late schedule for now, because I don't know how to fix that, either.  If I am in the room, she won't even try to sleep. She just wants to play, won't even lie down. Thanks for the suggestions, though, it does reinforce what  think needs to happen I just don't know how to do it

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry. It is so difficult, i have had hard sleep times with my kids in the past. When you decide to do a change, it will probably be a hard couple weeks of adjustment. Maybe try skipping her nap to see if she will fall asleep earlier, then get up earlier? I am not sure. Good luck!

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Yes, that's a good suggestion! Do you think that keeping her up four extra hours will make her overtired when she finally goes to bed for the night? She gets night terrors and I was worried about those. Sorry if this is a silly question, by the way. I'm just lost here. When she goes to bed overtired she's up with a night terror every 45 minutes or so most of the night, I was not looking to trigger those.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I'd skip the nap and then start bedtime at 7 so you can retrain her schedule.

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thanks, skipping the nap seems to be the consensus here...I may just have to do that. I will never know if I don't try it, so I might just do that tomorrow.

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

I am sorry. It is so difficult, i have had hard sleep times with my kids in the past. When you decide to do a change, it will probably be a hard couple weeks of adjustment. Maybe try skipping her nap to see if she will fall asleep earlier, then get up earlier? I am not sure. Good luck!

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

sjump25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I think you really need to work on changing her schedule.  Sleeping till 11am isn't normal for a 2.5 year old.  I would start by skipping her nap and getting her to bed earlier.  Once she is going to bed earlier, if she acts like she needs a nap still, then you can lay her down after lunch.  By 7 or 8pm she will be ready for bed again.  It will take a little time to change things, but I think a 7 or 8pm bedtime is much more appropriate. Good luck!

mommyofnoah208
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope it works for you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN