Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

hello my name is sandy :) and i need advice

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hi my name is Sandy and I have a One year old . My one year old is very active and climbs everything grabs everything in sight and he's just unstoppable . Its so hard to distract him or keep him calm any advice ?
Also he hits people in the face and he thinks he's playing around and I wasn't worried until he slapped a little girls pacifier out her mouth. I just don't want him acting so disruptly and learn that it's not okay any advice
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
The next time he does it, hold his arms firmly, yet gentle, down on his sides. Look him in the face and tell him in your most serious face/voice that hitting hurts and it is not nice to hit. Do not smile at all or make any kind of joke at all or he will think you are playing with him. Do this EVERY time he hits someone and he will eventually get it.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with the above response. Also, you just need to stick to him like white on rice and show him how TO behave when he starts in. Consistency and repetition are the names of the game. No magic 5 min cure I'm sorry to say. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandy_09
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Quoting Junebaby18:

The next time he does it, hold his arms firmly, yet gentle, down on his sides. Look him in the face and tell him in your most serious face/voice that hitting hurts and it is not nice to hit. Do not smile at all or make any kind of joke at all or he will think you are playing with him. Do this EVERY time he hits someone and he will eventually get it.

Thank you I'll definitely be trying that out :)
Mkittysamom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did this too.  I had to firmly explain hitting/slapping Mommy in the butt is not funny.  I also smacked him back once to explain how it hurts when you slap people.  I try my best to explain why.  He's better now, but on to making messes.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Hi Sandy. :) At his age, it's normal. Just continue correcting him. As for the face slapping, I would immediatley grab his hand, bring it down and firmly say We don't hit!  No cuddles or kisses right after.  Keep correcting him, he'll eventually get it.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Re-direction and positive reinforcement go a long way at this age.  I would remove him from any dangerous situation, either to himself (i.e. climbing things he's not supposed to) or to others (slapping/hitting).

.Angelica.
by Angie on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM

bump

sjump25
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

This is good advice.  Good luck!

Quoting Junebaby18:

Koam
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
The hitting part...my daughter was like that around that age: she'd clap her hands on my cheeks and giggle but she's freakishly strong and it would hurt, so whether I could catch her as she was doing it or right after, I'd grab both her hands and stroke them softly on my cheeks and say 'niiiice' with a soothing voice. It took a couple months of doing this and she stopped, and now she'll purposely stroke my face and say 'niiiice'. She does the 'niiiice' thing with dogs she meets and her stuffed animals too now.
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Its normal like PPs said. Teaching gentle touch and redirection are good ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)