Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: How do I stop my 3 year old son from...

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 22 Replies

How do I stop my 3 year old son from destroying every room in the house. He will dump everything out in sight in a huge mess and won't clean it up. He thinks its funny. I put him in time out in his room for destroying my room and now he's dumping and throwing everything he can get his hands on!  I have tried stripping rooms bare, locking toys away and loosing the key... I can hear him right now making his mess.  He won't listen and I have turned into the screaming Mom instead of being able to have fun and spend time with my son!

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Id have him help clean it up, and timeout if he wont help, but in his room is obv too much fun so id say a corner or a stair would be a better spot, if he moves put him back, itll prob take a few times the first time. Good luck, my almost three yr old is slowly learning she has to help clean up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mkittysamom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

BUMP!

Mkittysamom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My Room

The Hallway

This is a snippet of the destruction, and I had already started cleaning the boys room!

Mkittysamom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

THis is all of my coloring stuff my Son dumped out....

Mkittysamom
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

BUMP!

littlepinkrose
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to start making him pick it up period.  You need to go in and take everything out of his room.  Try it again and this time make him earn everything back.  Get a lock for your door so he cannot go into your bedroom.  Put everything but his bed and empty dressers in his room take everything he dumps out and keep it where he cannot get to it.  Make him start cleaning things up like putting his dishes in the sink picking up the living room.  Give him a simple chore a day like helping to set the table and clearing the table after dinner if he helps he gets to go pick out one item for his room.  One new item a day and only if he does his chore and if he throws those toys around then they go back in the basement or wherever you keep his stuff.  The more you make him earn it back and not fumble on discipline the more he will understand that you will not tolerate what he is doing.  If he makes a mess elsewhere remove him immediately give him a boring time out spot kitchen chair with a timer works well and when that is done make him go with you and tell him what he needs to pick up do not help him just tell him you are going to tell him where stuff goes and that he needs to pick it up.  Do not let him get up from time out if he does add an extra  minute my nephew stayed in timeout for twenty minutes one time but he learned to behave.  Good luck.

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Wow, looks like you have a challenge on your hands.  I personally would not let him be in a room by himself until this is under control.  That way you are right there and if he starts to dump and throw you can address it immediately instead of after the fact.  Once you stop him from damaging things and he settles down he has to clean it up.  Which means he doesn't leave that spot or play with anything else until he cleans up.  You can very calmly keep him there until he complies.  It's not a punishement and there is no yelling or anger, just a fact of life that you have to clean up what you mess up.  I do this with my son occationally and once he learned that he can't do anything fun until he cleans up it gets done quickly.  Sometimes the clean up is done with a little stomping and ugly faces but it gets done.  Good luck.

mama2b100808
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

wow and I thought my child was messy. But She learned by reading a book with me. If she is done with one thing she puts it up and then she gets something else. We still have to remind her but at least she does it. She is 4 going on 5 in October. Good luck hun

waytomanykids9
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM

If one of my kids did that, not only would my husband make them clean it up and if they refused they would be going over his knee.

esox
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Whoa! I'd say way too many toys! 

I agree, make him pick it up. If he refuses, its time out until he is ready to pick it all up. Consistancy is the key. One or two days of screaming and kicking while learning the rules is far better than a life time of living in a tornado zone.

To start off with, I would let him pick 10 special toys and then take all of the others away until he has learned to pick up and care for the 10 toys he has. Then slowly bring out one or two more per week as he is able to handle the responsibility. 

Good Luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN